• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Parts for rudder pedals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottly

Reaction score
Ok, so I was playing hookie from work and I got bored. I had an idea...I was looking at the brake/rudder pedal assemblies and I saw those little round circles on the end of the 7/8" tubing. What apain, I thought, to make those. So, I got to looking at the holesaw and arbor I got from Home Depot. I think Sandvic makes them...but anyway...

The drill bit in the arbor is 1/4", too big for the brake pivot shaftdiameter of 3/16". So, I dug through my scrap steel box and pulled out some 5/16" solid steel bar...some cheap stuff I think I picked up at Tractor Supply awhile back. I chucked it in the lathe and drilled the centerout 11/64". I turned the outside down to .250.

20071008_180354_holesaw1.jpg

I then cut off the piece at .750 length and inserted the drill shank into the adapter I just made. I filed a groove for the arbor set screw like so:

20071008_180534_holesaw2.jpg

Insert into holesaw arbor and procede to cut 8 circles with perfectly centered holes out of .100 4130 sheet. Your 11/64 hole is then ready to be reamed out to 3/16" for the pivot axles.

Make sure you put the sheet on top of some wood. I used 300rpm setting on my drill press and kept lots of lube/coolant on the holesaw. It did all eight without damaging any teeth.

20071008_180842_holesaw3.jpg

20071008_180939_holesaw4.jpg

You'll have to dress the edges with your belt sander or file.

Then I got to the task of cutting the rest of the pieces I'll need for the pedals.

20071008_181107_pedal2.jpg

The rectangle pieces will form a circular shape around the 7/8" tube at the top of the rudder pedal, where it is welded to the verticle 7/8" tube that holds the brake pedal shaft.

I'll round it off once I get sone 7/8" tubing to match it up with.

Next was the brake master cylinder brackets. Cut to shape/length and welded around the perimieter to 3/4" from the end. I clamped the drilled end together with a bolt, and clamped the other end to some 1/2" steel bar fromt he scrap box. Finished product waiting to be welded on to the brake pedal:

20071008_181716_pedal3.jpg

I cut some1/2" .035 tubing I had laying around. I tack-weldedtwo corners. the bottom piece I left loose because I have to notch the center piece. More to come later....here is what I fitted up:

20071008_181459_pedal1.jpg

Enough for now....I'm tired. I have to order me some 7/8" tubing and get some sleep.

Latest posts

Back