• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pietenpol Aerial Biplane

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice enough looking airplane but I suspect that like the Bi-Fly Baby or Bi-Baby it does better with only one wing?

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just saying there is a reason the Pietenpol was successful and the Aerial is obscure. I prefer a good biplane.

Dana

Reaction score
Without knowing how it flies, it's still kinda cool. Looks like it has an O-300? Change the shape of the rudder and fin and you'd have a mini Jenny...

Capt007

Reaction score
i OWNED ONE TWENTY YEARS AGO AND IT WAS PITCH UNSTABLE, PUT THE DATA IN THE COMPUTER AT MCDONNEL/DOUGLAS AND THE INFO SAID IT WAS SAFE TO FLY WITH FULL FUEL BUT GOT MORE UNSAFE AS YOU BURNED FUEL. SO I GAVE IT TO THE STL AIR MUSEUM.

TFF1

Reaction score
My guess is tail volume is too small or needs to extend back.

Capt007

Reaction score
BOTTOM LINE PLANE LOOKED GOOD FLEW BAD 3 OF US ALL HIGH TIME PILOTS FLEW IT AND AGREED TO GET RID OF THE BIRD BEFORE SOMEONE GOT HURT. I WILL SAY THE RUDDER CONTROL WAS EXCELLENT.

bravocharleywindsor

Reaction score
I had actually emailed Chad W. in May 2016 seeking to buy a set of plans. He did respond in a timely manner to say that he had recently stopped selling the plans due to being unable to have copies made. I offered to have the copies made if he would allow me access to the plans. He kindly and respectfully replied, "Thanks but I'm not letting the masters out of my hands. I designed this 40 years ago and have been selling prints since, time to let it go."

A few years ago I found an old classified ad for a set plans. I tried multiple times to contact the seller (in Alaska as I recall?) but never received a response.

I had even thought about making an offer to Chad W. to buy the rights to the plans outright!

Then, based on reading posts on other forums about the relatively poor pitch characteristics, I decided other similar aircraft (e.g. Fisher R80 Tiger Moth) would be a better option and have not actively been looking for a set of plans for sale recently. But I'd still be tempted if one happened to come to may attention! It would be interesting to see if the pitch characteristics could be improved.

Now this thread is starting to sound like the thread from a few weeks ago in which we discussed the tail configuration and pitch characteristics of a full scale replica Jenny!

Latest posts