• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pigpen's "DAMAGED" Pitts S1C For sale

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Well some idiot flew this thing last Friday and drug the right wing landing!
I am pretty upset and don't really have the time or effort to fix it. It will be a cheap and easy fix for someone who can do it on their own. The airplane is a long fuse S1C and was originally built in 1970 and completely rebuilt in 2005. Tons of new parts, new fabric, new panel, engine overhaul, new carbon Prince prop in 2005. Less than 400TT and around 165 since rebuild and engine overhaul. I figure the engine and prop are worth $15,000? I will sell the plane for $17,500 and the buyer can fix it. I thought I would try here, then Ebay. If it does not sell in a couple of weeks I will just get it fixed. Here are some pics.
It does have a canopy, just been flying it open cockpit.
[email protected] or 979-451-3251

pittss14.jpg

pitts s12.jpg

pitts s11.jpg

pitts2.jpg

pitts3.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis5678

Registered Users
Reaction score
Doesn't look to bad. But you never know until you take it apart. You have to take the cover off the wing, that is a given. Thank GOD you have metal instead of fabric at the fuselage where the spars attach to the fuselage.
What a beautiful Pitts. I guess you don't have hull insurance.

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As my dad used to tell me, "There's them that has, and them that's gonna." You're in good company. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up. Don't wait too long to get back in the saddle.

ssmdive

Reaction score
Dude, if I had just not bought a seaplane this would be my donor plane for the Wolf upgrade.

But... I guess I'll just have to stick to my 200HP Pitts and a seaplane...

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Dude, if I had just not bought a seaplane this would be my donor plane for the Wolf upgrade.

But... I guess I'll just have to stick to my 200HP Pitts and a seaplane...
I want a seaplane... Maybe we can swap :)

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should just fix it unless you're done with Pitts. That's looks like only lower wing damage. I bet even if you did nothing you could have it repaired for a few thousand. What is it painted with?

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a cup half full type. It could have been worse. Hang in there.

Very sorry,

Jack

cwspilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that is a heart breaker!

Gmovies

Reaction score
Unbolt the wing and send it to Paul Dougherty in Bethel, PA. He did such a magnificent job on the Benny Davis Eagle rebuild that had probably even more damage on the lower wing. He replaced the entire rear spar and did an amazing job matching the original complex paint scheme. Wing repairs start on page three of the thread:

http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?t=11536

Don't feel bad about dragging a wingtip. I did the same thing on my S-1 and I remember being SO pissed at myself. Sh*t happens.

Paul Klusman

gmann750

Reaction score
Paul has a project of his own at the moment, he is rebuilding the engine on the Eagle. I wish you were closer Shaun.

f18shack

Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, I feel for you. I drug the left wingtip on my first S-1S flight. Got 5 more hours dual with a different CFI and it made a world of difference. Wishing you the best whatever you decide to do.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That **** can happen to any of us.. Any given day.. Don't beat yourself up! It can be fixed.

There are those that have and those that will.

Cheers

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that? As long as we KNOW it can happen to us, hopefully it can be avoided?

At the rate my age increases and my wallet shrinks I may quit first?

That said, the only reason I haven't done it yet is dumb luck, I've come very close. Been off the runway in a cloud of dust........one way then the other....could have got them both

Jack

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
"I don't know about that?"
Then you go and make my point. LOL side of the runway with a cloud of dust?

We've all had our close calls. That's my point..

There isn't one pilot that hasn't nearly done that or worse! Unless I guess they just haven't flown enough....

I'll say it again.. There are those that have and those that WILL.. Don't kid yourselves.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Bob, isn't that so true! But it adds weight and complexity. In my lifetime I've seen such advances they boggle the mind. Just saw today a material that acts like a muscle but weighs less than a real muscle and is as small! We biplane buffs will see so many advancements in the next few years it will boggle our/your mind. My grandfather, who was a mentor to me, was the generation that saw man go from the fastest man had ever gone, (ever in over a hundred thousand years) from a running horse; to our landing on the moon! Think about that and try to forecast the future. I am reading a book right now, that has pulled several articles about flying from earlier last century, (1890 to 1930) and they are so amazing. The stories published in papers and magizines then were, sometimes, so weird as to be unbelievable now days.
HTML:

Latest posts