• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

piston ring problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
320, narrow deck with the funny nuts holding the cylinder on. My compressions have been 72 74. Last year one jug fell to 60. I flew it for a year but figured I better tackle it. Suspected stuck rings. One was stuck. The issue is both rings have a bevel on the inside edge. One bevel was down and one was up. Lots of research and found that car rings can be like that. The bevel puts a twist in the ring during compression and firing. Found a ton of stuff on lycoming site but nothing that addresses the bevel. No little circle marking the up side on the ring. I did find that after torqueing the through bolts to retorque the opposite side thru bolts. Maybe that is why 2 were not real tight. The jugs were bored about 1450 hrs ago with new pistons and rings. Bores look good but they need honing. Please, advice on the bevel. Just does not seem right.

Thanks
will

Latest posts

Back