• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts Aileron Pushrods Rub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hova

Reaction score
Background info:

I finally got some hardware a few weeks ago to start hooking up the control surfaces on my S1-C/S project (S wings on a C fuselage) and hit a snag. With the aileron pushrods hooked to the torque tube they rub on something in the wing. It seems to me that there is more dihedral in the wings than they were originally intended for (differences in the S vs. C?)

At first it was obvious that it was just the top of the exit hole to the wing because of the aforementioned dihedral so I every so slightly enlarged those, that was actually needed to even get them to bolt to the torque tube as they couldn't go high enough to get to the bolt hole.

Now they are still rubbing but using a bore scope it looks like they are only rubbing on a brace in the first bay of the wing. I think this particular piece of wood (its contacting in both wings) is only reinforcement for the strengthened step section of the wing and is not structural. It sits perpendicular to the fuselage and runs the width of the first bay only.

Question:
Is it ok to trim or remove this piece of wood to allow the pushrod to clear? I have been told by a local Pitts builder that its OK to do that but I wanted some more opinions. He also said its ok to heat and bend the pushrods to clear (which to me sounds like a great way to get myself killed down the road when it buckles). Thoughts on that as well?

I will get pictures tonight when I get home if that would help anyone.

Latest posts

Back