• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts Cabane Fairings (S1-T, S1-11)

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Aerographics fairing that I bought hoping it would fit the S1-11 and it doesnt appear close. I think they told me it was for a S1-T. It is carbon fiber. I paid like 250 for it, including shipping. I would like 200 (includes shipping in 48 states). Or make me an offer.

So for my S1-11 I built a mock center section, carved out a foam shape on it and then made a mold of it. I made one for myself and the mold took a little damage coming out but I think it is good for at least a couple more after repair. It is one piece, so you would have to cut to install. I made it with one layer of glass, 2 layers carbon fiber, a layer just around the edge of glass, followed by another layer of glass and then vacuum bagged. If you would like one, I figure about 180 plus shipping.
IMG_2393.JPG
IMG_2390.JPG

dabfly

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Aerographics fairing that I bought hoping it would fit the S1-11 and it doesnt appear close. I think they told me it was for a S1-T. It is carbon fiber. I paid like 250 for it, including shipping. I would like 200 (includes shipping in 48 states). Or make me an offer.

So for my S1-11 I built a mock center section, carved out a foam shape on it and then made a mold of it. I made one for myself and the mold took a little damage coming out but I think it is good for at least a couple more after repair. It is one piece, so you would have to cut to install. I made it with one layer of glass, 2 layers carbon fiber, a layer just around the edge of glass, followed by another layer of glass and then vacuum bagged. If you would like one, I figure about 180 plus shipping.
.View attachment 56863View attachment 56864

.View attachment 56863View attachment 56864
Hi Gary, I have interest in an S1 11 faring

Attachments

dabfly

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary. Never received any photos. Am I still in the faring Q ? DB

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
yes. we got hit by a massive inland hurricane here in Cedar Rapids on Aug 10th. We are in recovery. I had about 8 full size trees go completely down of about 50 feet in height. Every other tree lost limbs. Big limbs. One collapsed my 640 sq foot deck, leaving a second story exit from the master bedroom along with 4 sq foot hole thru roof, ceiling and then poked thru 2 walls. 7400 bucks and a 60 ton crane to remove that one tree behind the house. It looks like a new deck is about 8 months away. The roof damage busted a truss. If we are lucky, we may get a new roof yet this year. Otherwise I need to prep it for ice and snow. Anyway we have about another intense month of yard work and then I can do something else beside lug dead trees around the yard. Unfortunately my yard does not permit motorized equipment and must be all done by hand/wheel barrow. Going to try an appliance dolly for the big stuff. But it is uphill to the street.

And then out at the hangar some kind of Mustang plane, looks like a RV, broke from its tether, sailed into a big 40 by 50 foot, collapsing the hangar, the winds then funneled into the hangar behind it, lifting the bi-fold door over the top of it and then blowing into the opening breaking every bi-fold door. This allowed it to punch the nose of my Aztec into pieces. It damaged every car/truck I own. The shops are scheduling car for after the first of the year and a month or so out for an estimate.

Anyway, enough of that. When winter comes, outside work will come to an end and I will get more time for making the fairings. I will try to send some current pictures your way soon.

dabfly

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Sorry about those happenings. You have plenty to deal with, wish I could help. DB

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
DAMN Gary! We got some of that wind here but nothing like what you got But have had to remove two 50' trees after the wind toppled them so I know the amount of grunt work involved. Keep on Keeping on sir!

dabfly

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is your recovery coming along Gary? DB

barchiola

This space available.
Reaction score
Just seeing your post about the freak hurricane you guys had. sorry to hear it and hope everyone's hanging in there ok.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
well after 2 months of picking up sticks (logs) in the yard, the frt yard is about 95% complete and the backyard is about 50%. I am jokingly practicing "Treeage". I have some massive widow makers that need to come out the trees yet but if it is a 40 foot stump, as long as it is still standing, it stays for now. A great big one fell out yesterday in the front yard.

The total house damage looks like about 70-75k, the plane damage at 17k and the three vehicles at 1500 each or so. Body shops are scheduling for next spring. Good luck with finding a contractor, if you havent already. They are not answering nor returning phone calls. Some have messages that say don't call till next summer (like the siding guy who put on my siding originally). My standing joke is does anybody know a good general contractor in Cedar Rapids who is not busy? I may have signed contracts early enough to get the hole in the roof/ceiling fixed this year yet and 50-50 on getting the deck rebuilt (ledger board ripped right off the house so great big open wound).

The damage around here is incredible. They wont get all the dead trees cleared out of the city till next year I am sure. I have heard of some people having to spend 50-80k just to clear the yard of trees. And that is just to set them on the curb and let the city cart them away for free. We had two city passes so far on our street but we could use a third as well. I have been lucky enough to get mine done for a lot less (volunteers) but there is some expensive stuff looming and the backyard has zero accessibility for even a garden tractor.

I did start planting some new trees and ran over this quote:

“Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

― Anonymous Greek Proverb

Those Greek fellows seem pretty wise sometimes.......

no asteroids have hit yet, so there is that.

Latest posts