• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts CAD Work Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doran

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker. May have posted on here once or twice before.

Thought you all might be interested in a project/ skill I've been working on. That skill is 3d modeling compositing and animation. I'm a video editor by trade and working on entering the aviation industry (working on CFI now).

Anyways, I've wanted to build a Pitts since shortly after I started flying. at this point in time I'm no position to start that project but hope to in the future. In the mean time I decided I may as well design it while working on the editing skills mentioned above.

Started out with the 3view of an s1-11b and started laying out the wire frame. then added some style features including a canopy that's inspired by the Hughes h1 racer. After a little more tweaking ended up with the basic shape.

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 2.52.48 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 2.53.11 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 11.55.06 PM.jpg

Did a little more tweaking in the details such as flying, landing wires. "Rigged" it for animation of the flight controls. Gave it a basic rough texture put it in an enviornment and ended up with something like this.
Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 1.55.26 AM.jpg

Next step was getting the texturing a little better. so tweaked that for hours on end. Built a hanger environment worked on some more details like the sag in the fabric on the wings and ended up with something like this.

hanger_s1-11b.jpg

Next I wanted to try my hand at compositing, adding 3d elements into photos so grabbed a picture I had at the the hangers had a couple sleepless nights and came up with this.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.13.22 PM.jpg

I then went ahead threw a rough animation to some audio on it tweaked the lighting because the shadows weren't right. fixed a couple more small problems and ended up with this.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/314074673" width="640" height="853" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="">12-31-18-PITTSS1-11B-STARTUP-001</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/kaidoran">Jeffrey Doran</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Planning on doing a camera tracking/ animation/ compositing test with a low pass with this model in the near future so Ill be sure to post that when its done.

Hope you enjoyed!
-Kai

Latest posts

Back