• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts Landing Wire Wanted

Tomcat

Reaction score
I broke a landing wire while practicing the 2020 Advanced known sequence this evening. Looking for a replacement on here before I call Steen tomorrow. Length is 81.25”

I think there might have been a nick in the wire, it broke right in the center on the javelin.

Redtail

Reaction score
I might have one. I will check today when I get to the Airport.
Dad

Tomcat

Reaction score
Ordered a new wire from Steen, thanks for checking everyone.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
did they have one in stock?

Tomcat

Reaction score
They had one an 1/8” shorter in stock which will work just fine.

curtis

Curtis
Reaction score
What were you doing when it broke? What maneuver?

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get one in stock. took us 5 months to get landing wires.......

Tomcat

Reaction score
Chris, that’s what I had heard, I was worried I would be down for months, thankfully they had one just an 1/8” shorter so I got lucky.

Curtis I was practicing this years advanced known sequence, a lot of negative g in it. So far I’ve been able to get through the sequence at +5.5 and -4 g’s. I don’t necessarily think this failure was a result of flying the sequence. The airplane vibrates a lot and after looking at the wire it looks like there was a nick in it.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
In the photo I would agree with Tomcat. The shiney spot says broke before the catastrophic failure of the rest of the wire. I’m not a metallurgist and I didn’t stay at Hotel 8 last night!

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was your chute or seat cushion damaged when removed from your butt crack? Glad you and your mount are ok.

curtis

Curtis
Reaction score
That's good to hear it was not the pull that was the reason for the failure. What is the history of those wires? New, Used? I'm also interested in the vibration you experiencing. Where does it manifest, in the stick, pitot tube, or in your seat? At what rpm do you feel it.

We just dynamic balance Cary's Eagle and he has seen a significant difference. I will do mine before the trip to SunFun this April.
--
Curtis

Tomcat

Reaction score
The airplane vibrates all the time, not at one specific rpm or anything. I believe it’s due to having the heavy duty mounts, 11:1 pistons and a two blade metal prop.

I did a dynamic balance on the prop and got it down to .05 IPS which is in the “very good” range so I’m pretty happy with that. The vibration got better but things still shake pretty bad.

Latest posts