• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts on BS

Mmalone442

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Looks unfinished to me -- no root fairings on the lower wings or the H-stab. May not mean other shortcuts were done during the build but that's what it says to me. An O-320 and Sparcraft wings will never bring top dollar....

marquartflyer

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
saw it in person - notice there are no horizontal stab struts? I have been told that it has been flown (and acro'd) that way! Other build issues (bolts not drilled square, etc. ) May be a good project if someone wants to rescue a stray, but not airworthy IMHO

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If it has the beefed-up H-tube it should be OK. The other issue you mentioned suggests it was built in haste.

TFF1

Reaction score
It might have been finished in 2015 but I bet it was probably a 30 year project that miraculously got finished. Where it lands on the Pitts scale depends on what you want to buy and know the differences of the details. Probably priced right for what it is. Not comparable to a top tier certified one.

barchiola

This space available.
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on engines but the engine is an oddball version of the O-320, Lyc 320-G4 175hp . If you google it there's a thread somewhere about another buyer asking about the same engine and the answers aren't encouraging if you're thinking about this airplane.

TFF1

Reaction score
Sounds like it’s a 290G upped to a 320. G1 and G4 were the different models of the G.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom's likely right on. My O290/320 frankengine is a G4 too. I doubt if it has 175 hp? If it does I would suspect a shorter life. Later O320's had beefed-up main bearings. I noted a big difference in my engine and the IO320B1A-160 horse. Hopefully it also has a O320 crank?

Martin Hill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even speculate about the engine. When I asked about it earlier in the year and checked the logs:
It was put together out of some old projects that had been scooped up.
Engine failed during phase 1 and was swapped out.
The engine logs appeared to be for the previous (failed) engine.
That said, it's a different owner selling it than the one 7 months ago. Maybe they figured it out.

wzm

Reaction score
Bill Rose told me to go back and redo my work when I made a square torque tube stick mount like the one in the photos. It's always nice to see the mistakes you've made are on a well traveled path.

Mmalone442

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the expert eyes....I definitely want to fly not fix. Right now I’ve been enjoying hours of fun in a super D and ready to move up to something more challenging. Thanks again for the input all.

Skippy

Registered Users
Reaction score
Does the rubber tube running from the instrument panel underneath the seat have a 3/8” fuel line inside it ?

Latest posts