• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts project for sale in Louisville, KY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthos92

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi,

A friend of mine (non forum member) is looking at buying an S1 project to keep him busy. He's not looking to spend a fortune but his preference is to buy a complete or disassembled aircraft which has all the major components. Does anyone happen to know anything about the S1C project which is currently for sale in Louisville, KY and listed on Barnstormers?

My friend has spoken to the seller who has stated it is a complete aircraft just missing some nuts and bolts but all flying wires, engine components, control surfaces etc are there and in decent condition. Obviously, it has sustained some slight fabric damage during transportation which looks like it can be repaired. The seller said the aircraft did fly with the IO-360 and the CSU, however, being it's a short fuse S1C he said the weight and balance were out? I believe it would possibly need to have the CSU prop replaced with a fixed timber/composite one? As it hasn't flown for years he understands the engine might be cactus due to internal rust and is factoring in a bulk strip and parts replacement.

It would be great to have some of the residents Pitts experts cast their thoughts on the overall aircraft as I'm certainly far from an expert. Are weight and balance normally an issue with short fuse S1's with CSU? Can anyone pick any big issues from the pictures or the info in the ad which would make them walk away from this project completely?

Here is the link

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1170633_PItts+S1C.html

Any Advice from people in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back