• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts project for sale

Acronerd

Reaction score
Awesome project! Hate to sell but I’m trying to build a house.

S1 fuselage
S1S sparcraft wings that need the leading edges installed
4 complete ailerons
Complete flying wires and tail brace wires
Fuselage is sitting on gear, with new Cleveland wheels/brakes
Engine mount
All the tail surfaces
Turtle deck and all metal fairing
New wheel pants
Firewall with cowling and nosebowl
Complete stick assembly with pushrods

I might be missing more.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Please post a price, and pictures would help.

Acronerd

Reaction score
I will post some pictures and price later tonight. Thanks

Walker

Gary Sky Walker
Reaction score
I am interested.

Gary Walker
Houston Texas

Acronerd

Reaction score
I can’t take a penny less than $6500, that’s exactly what I have in it. I don’t have a good history on it as it was owned by two different builders. I bought it exactly the way it sits 2 years ago, with the intentions of completing it. Some components I already blasted and primed. (Not shown in pictures Lots of misc. I haven’t listed with it. (336) 380-7645

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
do you have build records from the previous owners?

Grum.man

Reaction score
Since the OP hasn't answered the question, the area code looks to be a Winston Salem North Carolina area.

Acronerd

Reaction score
do you have build records from the previous owners?

They gave me the story on it but it’s never flown .I’m not going to go into detail on here just to long. Call if you’d like to know all that I know I’d be glad to speak to anyone on the phone!

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t need to know the story, need to know if there are build logs and photos. In order for it to meet the 51% rule you need the logs from the previous builder showing it being built. Starting logs from now through completion will not show 51%.......

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Smizo. . . . Not exactly. . . . . . per the FAA Order (8130.2J) what is left may well indeed meet the 51% rule. There is a handy Amateur Built Aircraft Checklist that would be easy to use to check for yourself. One should also note that if a Van's RV-7 quickbuild kit qualifies for Amateur Built- this should more than qualify. If a repairman's certificate is not sought then it really does not matter.
I have certified several Amateur Built aircraft where the applicant/ builder was not eligible for a Repairman's certificate. Happens all the time. As for logs- the order gives some room for interpretation for the DAR here. Having seen this project and hung paper on more airplanes than I can recall- I'd suggest that build logs could be started from this point and you be just fine. There is still alot to do.
With the last revision of the order, Experimental Exhibition is not a bad choice either.
First time I've been on here in forever. . . . . . hope everyone is doing well!

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nice to see you Eric!

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Eric! That’s encouraging to hear, I only ask because a friend is interested in the project and wouldn’t want him to get stuck when certification time comes. Thanks.....

Walker

Gary Sky Walker
Reaction score
Fellow and Bi-plane owners I need some help. I bought the Pitts S1S project shown above. I am about start the FAA Certification Process and since this project had never been "Certified" I do not have any "builder logs" or anything on its construction. When this project was first listed there were several comments posted about its past history but for some reason they were deleted. So I am now asking for comments or whatever you know about the past history of this Pitts S1S. I know that the comments or calls I receive will not help with the my DAR but at least I will have "a story to tell".

For those interested this project is going well for me. The Sparcraft 2nd generation wings I had fit perfectly and I am replacing the 4 strap elevator/stab and pinned rudder with with a factory Pitts 2 strap elevator/stab and 2 strap rudder. I am going to go with the open cockpit and see how it goes. I am currently working on the inter plane structs.

Thanks
Gary Walker
832-656-8314

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Chris in post #13, getting a AWC w/o builder logs is problematic. That said it really depends on your DAR. I've completed two E-AB projects, one had complete records from initial builder and myself so no problem. The 2nd had some records and receipts along with my log but it was obvious that nothing was factory built. All that said, my DAR NEVER asked for or looked for any logs or records.

YMMV.......

It depends on what your DAR and/or the FAA inspector wants. The DAR will do what the FAA guy says and provide what he asks for.

It also seems the FAA wants more and more. I used the dame MIDO/DAR for both projects in 2011 and 2015. They wanted much more detail in 2015....

Maybe go back to Eric for advice on who to get for a DAR since he has been through the process so many times?

Good luck,

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts