• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts project

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If it is this one looks like a great deal to me.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] N10DY Pitts S1S project minus FWF. Current 2016 A.W. cert./ Ops. limits and reg. New Aviat canopy and windshield complete kit with all hardware and plans. S1S wings with all hardware and plywood leading edges. Cleveland wheels and brakes. Long fuselage. All flying/landing wires and tail brace wires. Horizontal stab strut. Fuel tank with flop tube. Wheel pants. Cowling with nose bowl. Engine mount for an O-360. McCauley 7656 Propeller. Hooker ratcheting harness. All steel parts sandblasted, primed and painted. See Specs page for items that I will part out, or $5900.00 takes it all.[/FONT]

Dave

inverted25

Reaction score
Yea it’s half the country away but thinking about getting it anyways.

inverted25

Reaction score
Is it weird that the add says it has a AW but the FAA database says none

Timbob

Reaction score
Looks like quite a few Pitts projects on offer!
I like the lightning holes on the firewall, whats up with that?!

jrs14855

Reaction score
Pictures of lower wings are not S1S wings. Probably started with Sparcraft featherweight wing kit. Wings are not desirable in my opinion.
The rest of it looks ok but likely relatively old S1. Fuselage stringers going all the way to instrument panel is very early technology. Probably has Cub style hinges on tail and other early features. This has been on the market for some time which raises the question why it hasn't sold. I would guess paperwork issues, may not be eligible for EAB. Price is right if the steel parts are ok. One could scrap the wings and still have a bargain, especially if its a Curtis built fuselage.

luftwicker07

Multiply your time and money estimate by 3
Reaction score
I know the guy that's selling this. It is absolutely an amazing deal. He was flying this one regularly and bought an S2. I'm not sure if he was restoring it or parting it out.

sleddriver77

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like quite a few Pitts projects on offer!
I like the lightning holes on the firewall, whats up with that?!
(without seeing pictures) Lightning holes in a FIREwall seems to, ah, defeat the purpose... :D

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see any holes........

Latest posts