• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts S-1S for sale

emiller775

Reaction score
Sadly,we are selling our Pitts S-1S. On the cover of the March 2016 issue of Sport Aerobatics, this is probably one of the nicest Pitts of any kind. Expertly built by three time Pitts builder Ted Williams this airplane has most of the mods including spring gear with reinforced longerons, heavy duty H tube, stab braces, Pitts ailerons on a Sparcraft wing, spades, header tank, stainless crossover exhaust, smoke, ported and polished O-360, PS-5C, Sensenich prop, Christen inverted systems, all 180 smoh. Engine topped in 2013, 80 hours ago. Stits Aerothane, new canopy, leather coaming, Oregon Aero cross country seat, on and on.... We have the starter, ring gear, etc. but we currently hand prop it. Starts on the first pull without fail. We've had our fun, it's your turn. $35,000.
Located Birmingham, AL, (205)-533-0845, [email protected]

image.jpg

emiller775

Reaction score
Yep, and it's still there. Wife says time's up, get a two seater.

flyrite

Reaction score
My wife's time would be up if she tried to pull that. :) I don't complain about her single seat horse. :)
Somebody send Eric's wife a link to this thread.......Nah, Don't do it I like going to the contest he puts on! :D

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
Somebody send Eric's wife a link to this thread.......Nah, Don't do it I like going to the contest he puts on! :D
Hey Tony, my wife knows what's up. It's mutual - we don't mess with each others' hobbies. But she'd love to hear from you...lemme know if you want her # :D

Matt-

Reaction score
That is a first class airplane! I spent a fair amount of time looking it over at OSH last year.

wminear

Reaction score
Polished props are not allowed to be overhauled by prop shops I believe. It did look good when I watched it fly. I had a 2 seater (Pitts) my wife road in it and was not impressed. She has decided if we are going somewhere she wants to ride in the falcon 50 or the citation, She'll settle for a king air, 414 or a 182 in a pinch.

emiller775

Reaction score
Once again, Eric is correct and it was covered in the mid '80s. Nobody who's seen it can believe it. The only issues are some small cracks in the paint right where my elbow goes when strapping in. Something I'm careful with now.
Eric does bring up an interesting point though. It seems like most of the flying S-1s around were covered or recovered in the 80s and 90s after being built or their cotton wore out. Very few of these airplanes have been continuously flown for the last 20 or 30 years as owners have come and gone. Without a very good pre buy where tubes are inspected and camshaft condition is verified, a lot is left to chance in an airplane that glides like a stone and a new owner expects to pull +6,-3 without a second thought.
The alternative is to strip them all, tear down the engines and rebuild them at a cost of roughly twice the value of the plane when you're done...or drag it home and spend an election cycle in your garage with the hope you'll still be as excited about snaps in the next decade.
This airplane belonged to the builder who was fanatical about condition and I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have owned it.
I wish I knew the answer for the bulk of these little red biplanes and hope the Davissons, Finagins, Minnis's and others can keep our very special toys from being lost to homebuilder history.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my wife didn't have another option she was perfectly happy in the front pit of a biplane. If she gets a ride in a Citation or the like, it means she must have left me after what at least I thought were a relatively happy 44 years......:rolleyes:

That said, after my stint in the S1C she did mention, "No more single seat airplanes!"
She did relent when I needed another ride and a inexpensive EAA Bipe became available and she encouraged the "single" place AD2 since in theory it is 2-place.

But when I mentioned those 2 for 1 Pitts projects in Fl. a couple months ago I got an unexpected nasty & firm dirty look.:( And she has 2 single place horses!:confused:

Go figure,

Jack

Matt-

Reaction score
I can't believe this one is still on the market. There must be no one seriously looking at this time. The world needs more Pitts pilots. Smizo should buy it, it's the right color. Paint some red prop tips on it to entice him:D

jmorgan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Newbie here. If I was ready to buy right now this would have been long gone. Hopefully I can find something like this when I am ready. Best of luck.

emiller775

Reaction score
N24TG has found a new home on the south side of Atlanta. I have never missed an airplane as much as this little guy. Hopefully it's new owners will pop up on here and let us know how things are going from time to time.

Latest posts