• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts S-1S PROJECT for sale. $28k. Engine removed for disassembly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update and edited:

After more input and discussion. Engine is coming off. For starters.

Why am I selling for those new to the discussion? I'm flying a Raven-wing Pitts built by Nick Cain and sticking with that. Different animal entirely. Black Pitts went to Chris Murley for loving, upgrades, and very thorough condition inspection and came back with an engine speaking even more loudly that it needs to come apart. It happens :(

Now asking $28k OBO for recently signed-off airframe, New Sensenich wood/composite propeller, spinner, and all engine accessories. Engine is being removed to be disassembled as a learning opportunity. This is a plane that was last flying on its way home from SMIZO's careful inspection PA to NC beginning of October 2021. It is apparent that the engine deserves to be removed, and a better engine should be hung in its place. I know from experience that it is easy to racecar trailer these things across the country, having already done it when I first assembled it one year and 70+ hours of flying ago (Aug 2020). I'm looking forward to the learning opportunity of taking the engine apart with significant guidance on the field and hope the airframe will give someone else a fairly straightforward project... just bring a good engine and put the wings back on and go fly :)

If even slightly interested, come on over to 9A9. Guest room and bathroom. Look at cool planes and meet cool people.

The airframe is exactly as it left Smizo's shop in Tunkhannock, PA beginning of October, but in the next few weeks we will be removing the engine and tearing the engine down for education and to inform what will happen next to the narrow deck conical mount engine that is currently mounted.

Here's a 360 view inside the cockpit (Thanks Google Street View!)

Google 360 Cam Cockpit View

51254479983_a4a6249caf_k.jpg

51268900634_41ff338b3a_k.jpg

51275529878_5d5b3d5f12_k.jpg

IMG_7624.JPG

IMG_7633.JPG

IMG_7629.JPG

IMG_7630.JPG

IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7632.JPG

IMG_7625.JPG

Video of the plane flying in North Carolina.

Comb through my YouTube for further stalking.

Thanks for looking. I figured I'd get the news out there, because one way or another the plane will fly again soon, but either with a different engine and shipping it, or with the current engine plus money and time thrown at it before I can watch it fly away from 9A9.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back