• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts S-2A For Sale

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
No, the airplane has friese ailerons with taped gaps. I worked with the Boston Aircraft Certification Office to earn a one-airplane STC for the spades. What most do not understand is that a FSDO can not approve alterations to a flight control system, the ACO has to do that. And the ACO consults with the Small Airplane Directorate in Kansas City to make sure that you are not doing anything too radical. You can find my name in the FAA online database of STC's.

I will note that spades are not part of the ailerons actually but are part of the aileron control linkage. Technically they serve to reduce the forces on the rod-ends, bearings, push-pull rods, etc., and coincidentally make the pilot happy.

STC's are not rocket science but it is an FAA process that requires persistence and patience.

Thanks,

Wes

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
I go cross country at 65%, 23" and 2400RPM, leaned, to flight plan at 10gph. I think that I true out in the low 130's or so. I plan legs of 1:45 or just under 200nm.

Best of luck,

Wes

Dennis Flamini

Reaction score
A little history from Jason (pittsbirdZB)

Feb 4, 2018
The last S-2A appears to be #2270. Is this the one you bought? I flew it a handful of times when Tom Bent owned it, before it sold to someone in Wellington , FL. Tom had told me it was the last A model. It does appear that 2001 was first, so that means 270 built. The extra 2 may be the mysterious possible 2 built for the Argentinian team after B production started, but I've never been able to confirm that these airplanes actually were built or ever existed. I can't find any record that serial 2271 or 2272 ever existed. So which serial # is on yours?

The short answer version of your question, to the best of my research is:

S-2 prototype built 1966, serial # 1001

S-2A: 1971 to 1982, serial numbers 2001-2270. Various changes as mentioned previously during A production including longer gear & wider fuselage (#2206+) and symmetrical ailerons with spades (#2219+), canopy, etc. Built by Aerotek.

S-2B: 1982 to 1998, serial numbers 5000-5357 (358 built with 1 being converted to S-2C prototype #5334). Basic changes from A to B - AEIO540 instead of AEIO360, grew 4 inches in length, wing mount position change (A cabane slant back, B slant forward), fiberglass front seat bucket, metal sides for both occupants (rather than fabric on A), double canopy does not slide as far aft on B. Six companies existed during production time span, but by registration you essentially find 1 of 4 companies listed as manufacturer: they were built by Aerotek (82-83), Christen Industries (83-91), Aviat (91-96) & Aviat Aircraft (96-present). The other 2 were holding company changes during Aviat/Aviat Aircraft era).

S-2C: 1998 to present, serial numbers 6001-6092 (and counting). Basic changes from B to C - Hartzell Claw 3 blade propeller, sloped front windscreen, cockpit ventilation routing, lengthened ailerons to wingtips, wings not as rounded on ends, flattened the belly panels (requiring push/pull tube channel), squared off empennage surface shapes, gear shape changes, cowl hinges moved in order to pivot engine panels down instead of up when opened. Built by Aviat Aircraft.

I left out the S-2S series...didn't know if you wanted that, essentially a single place version of an A model with a AEIO540 engine.

StevenL757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend cross-country cruise numbers for the S-2C? Did a search, but couldn't find any "C" data.

jstreat

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the kind words. The sequence below is the Free Program I am coaxing the ship through the last two seasons. Some pilots here might enjoy trying it.

Best of luck,

Wes

View attachment 66687
Wes, flew your Freestyle today. Very fun. Flies really well. Started at exactly 10k and finished at exactly10k. Never did that before at density alt of 14K. I pull sequences out of the pile, walk through it once and go fly for unknown practice. Good for my old mind.

Latest posts