• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts S1-T, S2-A, S2-B, S2-C, S2-E Carbon Nosebowls

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We have just finished our all carbon fiber Pitts nose bowl. It fits the following models: Husky, S1-T, S2-E, S2-A, S2-B, and S2-C. The stock Aviat nose bowl weighs over 10 pounds and cracks due to heat saturation of the non-oven cured polyester resin and cloth. Our nose bowl weighs under 3 pounds and will not crack due to heat. Made of all pre-preg aerospace grade carbon fiber, oven cured and ready to install. While these will fit the above model aircraft, they are not FAA approved. It is up to the installer to determine applicability.
Much stronger, 7 pounds lighter, cheaper than a factory replacement, and easier to install/ remove. Stock S1-S and Swick Taylorcraft also available.

$1750 plus shipping.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Nose bowl 1.jpg

S2-B Nose Bowl.jpg

nose bowl weight.jpg

Last edited:

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Looks nice.

A couple of questions.

1) The stock factory nose bowl has an aluminum reinforcement bonded in around the aft part of the nosebowl. Does the carbon fiber unit shown above include this?

2) I looked at another supplier's carbon fiber nose bowl and at that time it appeared that the airplanes with angle valve engines were a different width at the nose bowl than the airplanes with parallel valve engines. I measured my S-2A and this seemed to be the case at the time. Did I misunderstand?

Thanks!

Wes

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wes- This particular one does not have the metal (it is actually steel on some) reinforcement. We opted to go with an extra ply of carbon in that area. When compared to the original it is much stronger. We could also add a Kevlar cord in that area to appease any FAA Inspector wanting more strength in that area. As you know- there is no real good way to attach any metal to any composite without mechanical means. This is why the metal rod really doesn't do much.

As for the different nose bowls between the angle valve and parallel valve engines- the ones we looked at were the same. This is not to say that the S1-T had not been replaced at some time with one from a S2-B. We used a S2-B factory nose bowl as the sacrificial part.

Flybipe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great! Get 'er PMA'd and STC'd and sell 'em to the Husky crowd too...it's the same part and those guys are also super weight conscious and there's a lot of Husky's out there...

(I know the DER Aviat uses....)

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Thankyou for the info. I will measure my S-2A nosebowl again and let you know the dimension. Might be useful info. I will suggest that the metal hoop is likely for stiffness, not strength. That said, duplicating the shape in carbon around a foam core rod will certainly achieve the same result.

Thanks,

Wes

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
FYI - The width of my S-2A nosebowl, measured from flange to flange across the parting line between the upper and lower halves, is 35 7/8"

Best of luck,

Wes

Flybipe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I know of at least one certificated Pitts that was fit with a carbon fiber nosebowl...the restorer saved the original nut plates off the factory nosebowl and "repaired" the original part from that...:)

jrs14855

Reaction score
The aluminum tube reinforcement on the factory Pitts nose bowls is just a convenient way of forming the reinforcement. A piece of foam instead of the tube would work just as well.
I used a generic nose bowl on my Pitts with no reinforcement. At speeds over 180 the nose bowl will flex enough for the cowl door to damage the paint. I fixed that with a very small formed aluminum angle riveted to the inside of the cowl doors to bear against the aft edge of the nose bowl. No further problems and no cracking in 1000 hours.
The factory nose bowls crack thru the gel coat, never saw a problem with the cloth/resin part, just surface cracks. Some generic suppliers brushed on the gel coat and this almost always left voids between the gel coat and the cloth/resin portion. Best not to use gel coat and use multiple coats of Randolph Epoxy primer to fill any pinholes. Most of the primer gets sanded off.

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
I don't know why the S2B nose bowl grew so heavy. The early s2a and s1s nose bowls didn't have the spinner contour and were flat faced, so to speak. Having removed and replaced and painted several of them, I always thought them lightweight, but never weighed one.
So I asked ACS to weigh one:
Can you give approx. weight of MC-3A NOSE COWL
Part # 05-01183.
To which our reply is:
This will weigh out to 2.93lbs.

jrs14855

Reaction score
The ACS part likely does not have any kind of reinforcement around the aft edge. Rattray Aircraaft is another source and they are about half the weight of the flat nose factory cowl. Factory cowls typically have lots of excess resin and the weight will vary some.

x2flycrj

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Just curious, what other Carbon parts do you sell for the Pitts S1S? I just nosed mine over.. Doh! And need a spinner and wheel pants. Thanks,
G

dimcuesta

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Let us know if you ever build on for the S-1S...

Latest posts