• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts S1 tail wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acromaniac

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I mounted a go pro to my I strut and the first video revealed that the upper flying wire on my tail is oscillating during flight. I estimate the movement at the center of the wire to be between .25 and .5 inch. It seemed to be the most pronounced in level flight. In the high speed positive g pulls l couldn’t see any vibration.

The wires seem to be tight on the ground. A solid push on the center of the wire seems to move it about .25 inches. Plucking it yields a sound like a bass string :rolleyes: The sound is the same on the opposing wires. Only one top wire is visible in the video, but I am guessing that at least the other top wire is behaving similarly.

I guess my questions would be: Is this a tension issue? Could it be caused by the wires not being alligned into relative wind correctly? Should I be worried? Suggestions on how to proceed with fixing it?

I have flown the plane about 150 hours sinince acquiring it, all acro. I am guessing that this has been going on the whole time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back