• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts S1C for sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitot

Reaction score
Greetings Biplane forum.

My name is Steve and this is my first post.

I am selling my 1969 Pitts S1C. The aircraft is complete and flyable (last annual inspection occurred in 2010). However, it is my desire to sell the aircraft separately from the engine as I do not feel it is a safe power-plant (O-290G) for a Pitts. I'm concerned about propeller gyroscopic forces causing the (thin) crankshaft flange to separate.

Also, I feel the fuel delivery system is substandard. The engine has a PS-5 carburetor with an appropriate high pressure engine driven fuel pump. However, for starting and emergency operation, a second engine driven STYLE pump is mounted under the instrument panel with a short lever that is manually activated by the pilot. This works fine for starting but I cannot image this will be sufficient to keep the engine running in the event of primary fuel pump failure.

I'd be tickled pink to get $12,000 total for both engine and air-frame, but my primary concern is not to maximize the sale price. Rather I wish to sell to a competent individual who is capable of maintaining and flying the aircraft in a safe manner.

Here are some particulars:

1969 Pitts S1C (short fuselage)
Lycoming O-290G 490 SMOH 150 STOH
Sensenich propeller. 72" X 56"
Stitts Fabric/Poly Tone - 1983
No electrics installed.
Has an inverted engine breather, but no inverted oil system.
Fuel tank (new in 2003) has a flop tube.
60 hrs on a new stainless exhaust system.
60 hrs on a new Lang tail wheel
Empty weight - 750 pounds.

Although I have owned the aircraft for 16 years, I do not consider myself to be any sort of "Pitts expert". I welcome all comments from the knowledge of this group.

Steve Goodwin
Port Townsend, WA

fQ1a0c5.jpg

Sx1ysV3.jpg

Latest posts

Back