• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts S1C IO-360 For Sale

bjkirby2000

Aerobat, Hawk-XP, Lancair Super-ES, Smith MiniPL
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
7hrs SMOH And Restoration 195HP White/Red/Blue Classic. 185!

While at Sun N Fun I found an S1C just out of restoration for sale.

Original builder built 5 S1Cs and this one was #3.

Restoration done by builder of numerous airplanes. Fabric 10, Paint 10, workmanship 10 Ready To Go. I'll deliver anywhere at anytime.

IO-360 (9.2 Pistons) Approx. 195HP
0 Since MAJOR
Test Ran on stand IAW Lycoming Instructions
0 Since Refurb (new fabric and White with Red Pitts Scheme) AFTT=275+-
Inverted everything
Metal Prop

Impeccable logs since new & Pics available.

Asking $35,000

Sent from Bj Kirby using Biplane Forum

Last edited:

Taildragger

Reaction score
Hate to be a downer, but 35 seems way high for a C. I have a friend with a very similar plane who wanted to get that much but is having to come to grips with the fact that it's only worth 18 or so.

Am I wrong? It's hard to think what you would need to do to a C to fetch what is really an S price. Raven wings? Four ailerons?

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

Sailfun

Reaction score
Hate to be a downer, but 35 seems way high for a C. I have a friend with a very similar plane who wanted to get that much but is having to come to grips with the fact that it's only worth 18 or so.

Am I wrong? It's hard to think what you would need to do to a C to fetch what is really an S price. Raven wings? Four ailerons?

The engine alone is worth 25k. If the aircraft could be purchased for 18k you could part it out and make a nice profit. Is this Pitts listed for sale somewhere with more info?

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A nice one will bring 35k easily. I would not take that for mine right now. The days of a freshly restored 20k S-1C and a 30K S-1S are gone. Good Pitts are hard to find.
Just my opinion.

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
I would love to see some pictures of this bird, sounds like a very thorough build performed by an experienced builder, doesn't get much better in my opinion. Would be interesting to see what the empty weight turned out to be.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Prices for typical 180hp S-1S's seem to have moved to the high $30K's. 160hp airplanes seem to sell for at least 20% less. No one will pay the same price for less hp unless they really want a museum quality restoration. Those buyers are unusual.

Best of luck,

Wes

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most buyers expect $60k worth of parts, built, installed, painted and perfected for $20k. As builders I think its important to keep those expectations in mind when it comes time to sale a plane you built or rebuilt. If more sellers didn't "need" to sell and held out for a real value the $18k Pitts with a $23k engine on it would not happen. When you build or buy a rebuilt plane engine there is certainly a value you get from using it...you loose that "value" even if you don't use it so its best to fly the money out of it. I just had a buddy have a 180hp lycoming rebuilt...he spent 18k and he already owned the engine core! As a buyer always look at prices but quality of build and time in service does equal higher value...not always higher asking price but it should. If I was buying a Pitts Or any other plane right now Id much rather have a recovered and painted airframe with a newly rebuilt engine for $35k than a 1979 model with original fabric and a 1979 overhauled engine with 300hrs in last 30yrs for $18k (just an example...but you see the point). I've bought and sold lots of planes and cars and realized along time ago cheaper doesn't always mean cheaper in the long term. I'd be very curious what a New Pitts S1C cost to build and a new S1S. I bet both would be north of $50k with rebuilt Lycoming 180hp. Probably not much differance at all between model prices to build.

Tomcat

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Pitts S-1 series falls into a category where the sum of the pieces and parts exceeds it's market value in most cases. But it all comes down to finding the right buyer, the airplane will only be worth what the buyer is willing to pay. There's nothing saying an S1C couldn't sell for $35K, but you have to find someone who is willing to pay that price.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I would much rather pay $35,000 for a nice restored airplane than a old crapped out one for $18,000.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Aviat was offerring to sell new S-1S's for $140K each if enough buyers signed up. That number offers a benchmark against which to set your value vs price expectations. If you think that price is not realistic, go price a brand new Lyco. For better or worse, most homebuilt Pitts are priced at numbers that assume that the builder's labor was free. Once the fabric and engine wears out, the economics of the real world apply.

My S-2A was recovered in Cooper Superflite process by a real craftsman. Cost $30K. I plan to spend about $20K on the engine overhaul, but that may be a few $$ low. When I get done I will have $100K into the airplane including the original purchase price 600 hrs ago. What will the value be?

In the end, you either spend the $$ or you don't. Trying to make sense of it is a waste of time and will put you in the looney bin if you let it.

Best of luck,

Wes

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be worth 35K (I think it is if done right)and someone may pay but personally I wouldn't put that much engine, $ or hp. , into a C model. But it would be a fun ride:)

Jack

EDIT. After seeing pictures and reading flight review I disagree 100% with my above gripe. I think this airplane may be the perfect classic Pitts Special. I wish I was in a position to own such a bird.

Jack

Last edited:

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope to soon see what a C will really do. It's a whole helluva lot of airplane for 95% of aerobatic pilots.

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
+1 for what pigpenracing said ! The engine and fabric work would cost more than that. Only 5 time Pitts builder I can think of was Jim Killough? Is the fuselage the long one?
A "10" anything is rare to find! Quality people/workmanship can save you many headaches and downtime! My $.02

Sailfun

Reaction score
Where can we find and get more info on this aircraft. I am interested.

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We've all seen overpriced airplanes before. Some of us see value in a proven airframe, builder and detailed and complete logs (especially in homebuilts). This airplane will not likely go to the average Joe. It will likely be someone who wants to get in it and go; maybe not an acro ace. Curtis said the C model was way more capable than 95% of the twitchy feet that would ever touch one. So, we'll surely see how his one goes (or not).

More info coming when I get it.

Photos, Oshkosh award info, builder info, EW documented is 700# in March 2014. WOWEE!

Standby!

Last edited:

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tending to change my mind and agree with much said above. Indeed if I were looking for a Pitts, I'd rather have a C model. Take one that's well built, proven with all the logs etc. and a 10/10 w/O SMOH, what more would I(and many others) want.

If I were in the market and had the $, I'd take a look.

But I found a light 150 hp S1C to have plenty of power and wouldn't want one that had gained too much weight. Of coarse I was 25# lighter back then, no radio/elect. so maybe the extra power would be worth while.

Jack

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be there this weekend for pics and a ride if the twitch is under control. I've learned that it won "BEST PAINT" at Osh (1979?). Builder was in MN. Confirmed this is #3 of 5.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The grand champion in '79 was a Vari eze. The runner up was Hale Wallace with his skybolt. Must be a different year.

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Owner has Stated:
Manafacturer: Exp. by Howard Sevoy--Worthington, Minnesota
Tail Number: N914S
Engine Model#: Lycoming--0360
Inverted Oil (Christen style)
Prop Model#: Sensenich 76X56 (
OshKosh Award Info: Best paint job 1976
TTAF: 225 hours
TT Engine: Engine from Glasair II/570 hours, case rebored--crank magaflexed, Used rods--new rings, pistons, engine overhauled and cylinders chromed, cam reconditioned, servo and mags overhauled, new plugs, starter, Taylorcaft trim system, predominant white Pitts paint (Photos next)

Last edited:

Latest posts