• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts S1S headset/landing speeds/propellers etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying High

Reaction score
This forum is one of the best resources for Pitts owners that I've come across so I'd like to add to it what I can, here goes.

I know this has gone around a few times but thought I'd add my experience for others who are researching these topics.

My aircraft is a Pitts S-1S with angle valve I0-360. 4 into 1 exhaust, 10:1 pistons and fixed pitch 3 blade Catto propeller 72/62... very loud, oh and Grove Spring gear.

I've been using the David Clark H10-60 with the Oregon Aero upgrade and still found my ears ringing at the end of a flight. About 2 flights ago I wore ear plugs under my headset, what a difference. I have to turn the radio up a bit but the pain is gone out and I find it easier to hear the radio.

I've found that a lot of the noise comes from the exhaust collector under my feet, after all it's only separated from me by a lexan panel.

I'm too close to the canopy for a helmet and I'm thinking about trying the in ear headset soon, the Clarity Aloft or Halo, I'll let you know how that compares.

As for landing speeds;

I've experimented with different speeds and profiles and found 75kts with a profile that requires a little bit of power works really well. I'm entering the flare at 70kts and find the aircraft plops onto the runway nicely and stays there. At 80 to 85kts and a steeper approach I was finding that as soon as I touched the aircraft would skip back into the air and I was committed to fixing a bounce or going around.

When I went from a constant speed to fixed pitch prop it changed the landing characteristics significantly. With the CSU, as soon as I pulled power I'd stop flying as the prop went into full fine and I would settle onto the runway even if I was a few knots fast. With the fixed pitch I find when I close the throttle I keep flying a lot longer and excess speed will just cause a long float, who knew a Pitts would float !

This is all on tarmac runways, I've never landed an S1 on grass but I've been told it's a lot nicer.

On the subject of Propellers;

When I bought my machine it had a MT constant speed which was time ex so to save some dollars I installed a Catto 3 blade fixed pitch.

The constant speed was good for all the usual reasons but it was 23kg plus governor, the Catto is around 6kg. I've found take-off and climb performance almost the same with the Catto. I get around the same top speed so I don't really miss the CSU that much.

The Catto is so light that I miss some of the vibration dampening that the heaver prop gave me but I'm sure that will be largely resolved when I get around to dynamically balancing.

Lots of people like the look of the Catto, it sure makes my Pitts look fast.

If you've read this far I have a few questions other might help me with.

Best stuff to polish spring gear legs with?

Anyone have experience dynamically balancing their props?

I have Doug Dodge cowls on mine, does he still make them?

Cheers for now
Edited by: Flying Ant

Latest posts

Back