• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts S1X Sunbird

DanTerzian

Reaction score
Sunbird is listed for sale on Barnstormers under Pitts heading. I love the performance but the plane is not a good fit for me. I no longer have ready access to a mechanic familiar with a Pitts and I am not very good at (and don't enjoy) doing it myself. Consequently, I find it quite frustrating.

Briefly, it is a beefed up S1 with an IO540 and MT 3 bladed prop + lightspeed ignition and other stuff aimed at keeping it light and improving performance. It is the plane used by Spencer Suderman to set the current inverted spin record.

I have $70k invested but want to sell it and don't expect to get it out. Anyone who is sincerely interested with a reasonable offer will own it. You can call me at 530-227-1441 or email [email protected] to discuss.

The plane and I are currently located @ KPSP. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to change location from San Luis Obispo in my personal info. Cheers.

Last edited:

lanceav8r

Reaction score
Dan Rhin is still around. Didn't he design it?

Last edited:

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Sunbird is a Dahn Rihn original design that started, on paper, with the Pitts configuration. Mr Rihn did 3 or 4 biplanes like Sunbird before moving on to the One Design monoplane.

There is a video on You-Tube of Spencer Suderman's first flight in the airplane as a ferry pilot. The airplane got his full attention. I think he was exclaiming that he was at 5000' AGL not far from the end of the runway.

Not for the faint of heart, but looks like a great ride for the right person.

Best of luck,

Wes

DanTerzian

Reaction score
Yes. Dan Rihn did design it. And there are no problems with the design; it is a piece of art. My issue as I said in my prior post is that I am not good at dealing with what others would consider fun or routine: chasing oil leaks, electrical issues, etc. Keep in mind that the basic airplane was built in the late 1980's and started flying in 1990. Things just come up and I don't have a reliable mechanic or a mechanically inclined partner to work with me on it.

But as for the flying characteristics of the plane, they are unbelievable. I can assure you Spencer was not exaggerating. Takeoffs are really quite simple. Because I am a little concerned about the limited ground clearance on the prop, I simply keep the stick all the way back and give it full throttle to take off and it literally leaps off the ground in a few seconds; then I ease off on the back pressure and the bank angle is still ridiculous. No complaints about any of the flying or landing quality.

Anyhow, I will continue to chase gremlins and the end is in sight. I may want to move on to something else, but I am not going to neglect the plane.

Cheers.

lanceav8r

Reaction score
Rory Moore is a few hangars down from me. He had one of Dan's Pitts derivatives. I think he called it the Gosshawk. Unfortunately it was crashed at some point by someone else. I think they were scud running in it and hit a mountain near the Cajon Pass north east of LA.

lanceav8r

Reaction score
There is so much information in that article. The Sabre from what I understand was developed by Zivko into the Edge 540. It was a different airplane not Rory's that was crashed while scud running. I'm not sure of the details of The Goshawk crash.

jetsareforkids

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Awesome Lady sounds pretty awesome. A IO-720 in a single place Pitts is an impressive combination. Anyone have any details on the plane? I imagine that crank flexes quite a bit during acro.

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
Doug Dodge out of Bay City, MI built, owns, and flys "Machaira". Same design and lineage I believe. . Amazing airplane.

Hova

Reaction score
Ive looked at this sunbird on barnstormers. I'd love to have something like this someday but its about double my price range right now. good luck on selling such a unique plane

inverted25

Reaction score
How does the sunbird compare to an airplane such as the Oracle Challenger III

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Challenger and Prometheus are evolutions of what Dan Rihn started with his muscle biplanes.
Sunbird should have a similar power to weight, but wing, aileron and tail technology have improved from where Sunbird was designed.
If I had the pocket full needed, I'd be on it.