• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts S2 Experimental

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This sounds a little too good to be true.

1990 PITTS S2A EXPERIMENTAL • $49,000 • NEW PRICE! • 310 hours Total Time, 310 SMOH IO-360 200 HP Lycoming, Inverted Oil, Factory fuselage, sensenich fixed pitch prop, 4 into one exhaust, Raven Locking tail wheel, aux fuel, King kx125 com radio, King kt76 transponder, intercom, 2 parachutes included, hooker harness, rigged by former Pitts factory mechanic: flys hands off. Price Firm!! • Contact Joe A. Dory, Friend of Owner - located Star, ID USA • Telephone: 208-484-7782 . • Posted May 20, 2015

watermarked_aa1ee328a63df6082de208b18fa2cbd3.jpg

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We talked about this one in another thread. Wes wondered about engine dash #/fixed pitch prop. Does indeed seem decent.

Jack

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that prop is metal there was never a Sensinich aluminum fixed prop certified on a 200hp. Just went through this on a RV8 with a solid crank I0-360 200hp. From my research it's been done over the years but Sensinich never approved it. I'd install a Catton or Performace and be done.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I inquired about this airplane and got four gibberish emails sent from Mr. Dory's cell phone. My reply was never answered. I need to try again, using my phone this time.........

D.grimm

Registered Users
Reaction score
Check out "pops" Dory on SuperCub.org.
Quite the off airport pilot.
Dave

Skippy

Registered Users
Reaction score
Is the prop what makes it experimental ? Ive never heard of a S-2A that wasn't certified

bipedream

Registered Users
Reaction score
The FAA records say unknown airworthiness and category. It could be just a website issue.

It may be worth getting the FAA data CD to see what's there to avoid any paperwork issues if someone is serious. It could be a really neat airplane.

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
What makes it experimental if started as S2A?
From the pictures:
Propeller, 4 into 1 exhaust, tailwheel, cowl doors, lower cowl, oil cooler location, fuel servo inlet, no fuel quantity gauge, all appear non standard.
A neat airplane

Dano

Reaction score
Is the prop what makes it experimental ? Ive never heard of a S-2A that wasn't certified
My guess is that this is truly a homebuilt S-2E that he called and S-2A because he though more people would know what an S-2A was. Just my.02.

Dan

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One may call an E-AB anything you want. He says it has a factory S2A Fus. One may start with that and then must satisfy 51% rule.......whatever, AWC/FAA file should tell.

As Wes explained the prop. issue, it seemed to me to be a concern. OTOH the crank seems to have survived for several 100 hours. Is it a hand grenade or good to go even with another prop.......? Too rich for me anyway

Jack

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
At the date that the airplane was certified there were no factory S-2A's being built. The last S-2A was shipped in about 1981 as the price difference between the S-2A and the S-2B was small enough that all of the buyers were ordering 260hp S-2B's at that point.

An S-2E is built using factory components, including the welded fuselage. That history makes building an E-AB S-2x using a fuselage from a wreck a relatively easy sell to the FAA so long as you do the other 51%.

So this ship is likely Experimental Amateur Built. Jerr888's sharp eyes have identified the add-ons that the builder incorporated.

It does look like an interesting airplane. I wonder whether it has the short engine mount or the long one?

Best of luck,

Wes

El Piloto

Registered Users
Reaction score
The USA registry lists S2-E aircraft in many different ways. At one point I did some research and there were many variations in the nomenclature. The Original S2-E was i believe intended for a fixed pitch prop and a 180 HP engine. Some builders could have put in a 200 HP Lycoming with a constant speed and said it was an S2-A. This one might be a mix...i.e. 200 HP but with a fixed pitch prop. It all depends on what was available at the time of construction and at what price...perhaps.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I was in a position to be serious. Wes is right on, mount may be issue? Wrong mount coupled w/fixed pitch could cause a CG issue. One would want to carefully look at W&B.

I've seen "innovative" "fixes" which usually add useless weight to get things in balance.

It sure is interesting.

Jack

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
Engine mount for this installation: Of the 2 factory mounts-
1-There is no correct mount
2-There is no incorrect mount
Angle engine adds 25# to nose. S2E kit engine was meant to have 20# starter, the lyc alternator, and 2 6V batteries that weighed total 20# behind seat. It should be no problem to substitute modern accessories, if not already there, and battery location so CG stays in range?
Jerry

Wannaflypitts

Reaction score
For sale again by same guy 2 years later. Was there a verdict on this one? Price dropped. Guessing there was a reason it didn't sell before?

loosecannonfilms

Reaction score
For sale again by same guy 2 years later. Was there a verdict on this one? Price dropped. Guessing there was a reason it didn't sell before?
I sent a question and only got a one sentence answer. 2A's are rare as hens teeth so it should be an easy sale but something about it feels not right. I would have thought if this was my machine I'd be able to sell it in a heartbeat if it was all ok. Even at $49K it was a great price, to turn up two yrs later at $45K, something doesn't add up. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be an awesome machine. I was keen but without the aerobatic crank and constant speed prop I don't think its for me.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Someone needs to go buy it for $40,000 and resell for $65,000 before I do!

Latest posts