• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts S2A factory parts

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
just got off the phone with Aviat, and their prices are insane. $1400 each for wheel pants, plus $96hr to paint and $1250 for hartzell spinner.
I have a pair of bottom caliper mount wheel pants, brand new, with ennessee red/white/blue paint from factory. $1500 for the pair + ship?
Also , new spinner for $900+ ship?
If interested, call me, and I can't do pictures unless I enlist someone?
914 630 4550

cgzro

Peter Ashwood-Smith P
Reaction score
ask them about muffler.. $3800 for each 1/2 for the S1t.

i live my certified Pitts but yikes!

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You guys just now figuring out Aviat has gone apesh!t on prices? That started the first week after Stu Horn took over years ago.

Aviat used to be the first place anyone would call before that time and expect a good or fair deal. So far the best deal still is the price per foot for their fuel sight gauges for the various Pitts models...and that's about it. Expect a gang rape price for about everything else.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a B in the shop now I'm doing a field approval for to install ply leading edges while I recover the wings. New aluminum leading edges from them were almost the same price!

Inversion

Reaction score
To once again reiterate upon what was already said previously by other members of the investigative committee at yesterday's session of the inquisition, Evian's real estate investment branch has not yet mastered the operation of the MIG, TIG, wrench, spray gun, sand blaster or any other piece of equipment actually associated with aircraft repair. This has necessitated a wild spree of outsourcing to those who build moon rockets etc and driven prices into the stratosphere. Thankfully, they have now found someone who can operated the credit card machine that receives your payment, and the invoice printer was repaired by the courier who was delivering a new air conditioned camel skin office chair for the boss.

Last edited:

Flying Ant

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you buy leading edges from Aviat? Can't you have them fabricated... ahem... I mean repaired by an a&p?

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
sure could. Let's just say I needed their price.

prothct

Reaction score
You guys just now figuring out Aviat has gone apesh!t on prices? That started the first week after Stu Horn took over years ago.
No different at Piper, Cessna, Lycoming, Garmin, Bendix King, etc.... The entire certified aviation system is geared to help you part with your money as quickly and painfully as possible....

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Funny you should mention Cessna. I need two small springs for the door latch of my C-182. Not complicated or made of exotic material. $50 each.

Best of luck,

Wes

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crazy prices and lack of new pilots is what will kill GA. While some things it indeed does cost money to make. But as I pointed out on a previous thread the prices are dramatically higher than inflation warrants. But demand being low raises cost also. The example I used before was a 1980ish price for a putts fuselage, vs what someone would charge for that item today. Hard to sell $15,000-20,000 fuselages period. The issue is great...one step to help it is medical reform. More flying pilots means more work for A&P and airplane manufactures etc etc. the economics trickle down. But it will take a new interest in flying from younger people. And that's money related also. There are more options than ever to spend money. Aviation better find a new way or get ready for $200 springs or worse...no springs because every small plane company is gone because they can't sell enough planes at the prices they need to, to make a profit.

Latest posts