• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts S2C Wanted

JoshVoxc

Reaction score
Hi folks. Super D driver here trying to make my way up the IAC ranks. Contest season is starting to wind down so I am asking you all if there is anyone contemplating selling their S2-C? ------ I saw that Sonny Weller of Aerial Antics has listed his for sale on Barnstormers but I'm not a fan of the yellow and turquoise paint scheme. I would like to stay clear of the B model but may consider a really nice 3 blader in tip top shape. Thanks! Josh, Connecticut.

Tomcat

Reaction score
Any particular reason you want to transition from a super D straight into an S-2C? There are lots of other acro mounts out there for sale with tons more performance than a super D for a fraction of the cost. Why do you want to stay away from a 'B'? A friend of mine has a nice one for sale up in WI on BS's right now.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Lots of people will argue and tell you a S2B flies much nicer than a C. Steve Wolf is one of them. He does his training in a B.
My S2C never really impressed me. My 540 Eagle I sold and the 4 Cylinder Eagle I have now fly much nicer than the C model

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
I will suggest that if you compete, the "C" does the inverted better than a "B". The "C" also lands like an "A", which is to say you can come down final slower than in a "B". And the "C" ailerons are better.

Other than those items, if you buy a "B" and spend the money left over on gas and coaching, you are much more likely to earn a trophy on contest day.

And last season Francesco Pallozzi won every Sportsman contest in the NE in a stock Eagle. Outscored some "C" and Extra drivers.

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited:

gmann750

Reaction score
Hi folks. Super D driver here trying to make my way up the IAC ranks. Contest season is starting to wind down so I am asking you all if there is anyone contemplating selling their S2-C? ------ I saw that Sonny Weller of Aerial Antics has listed his for sale on Barnstormers but I'm not a fan of the yellow and turquoise paint scheme. I would like to stay clear of the B model but may consider a really nice 3 blader in tip top shape. Thanks! Josh, Connecticut.[/

I'd sell you my eagle for the right price, lot less than a C model.:)

JoshVoxc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all. I hear the C lands easier, rolls faster, and is beefier than the B overall. I'd rather not swap out planes every couple of years because of wanting more performance, so I'd rather stick to the C to so that I can grow into it. I've flown with Bill Finagin in his and was really impressed. I have yet to fly a B though. I am concerned with the Eagles. I've read they have issues with the landing gear mounting area and cracking drag wire blocks in the wing. Josh

JoshVoxc

Reaction score
TOMCAT, is that the Red and White 1988 B model? If it is, it is a strong candidate. But I'd rather feel out the market for a C first.
Josh

pigpenracing

Reaction score
My Eagle has all the mods done along with lots of extra. It rolls faster than the C. I would sell it but you said you do not like experimental. I am opposite.... I like to work on my plane and do what I want to it.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man , Pigpen you just got it. What are you looking at now? That is a sweet Eagle you have...only one I like better might be the 540 red one you had.

Kris
Oklahoma City,OK
Currently restoring a Ranger powered Starduster Too

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Everything is for sale except my wife and kid. Lol!
My wife did say I better not sell the Cub or boat. Lol!
I love the Eagle. If I would sell it I would do something open cockpit again. Stearman? Waco? Hell I don't know.

QUOTE=Lotahp1;103907]Man , Pigpen you just got it. What are you looking at now? That is a sweet Eagle you have...only one I like better might be the 540 red one you had.

Kris
Oklahoma City,OK
Currently restoring a Ranger powered Starduster Too[/QUOTE]

JoshVoxc

Reaction score
Experimentals are harder to finance too. That is the main reason I'm looking for Pitts. The lender for an experimental requires at least 15 examples of the make/model, and at least 3 others on the market in the US to compare pricing. I think that's why RV's are so popular. There are so many of them.

Tomcat

Reaction score
TOMCAT, is that the Red and White 1988 B model? If it is, it is a strong candidate. But I'd rather feel out the market for a C first.
Josh

Yes, it's a good airplane.

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
Josh, I've flown B's and C's enough to make the observation that the C does roll a little faster than the B, and IMO has a more precise, less truck-like feel to the controls. But there's very little overall performance difference. And forget landing differences - they're exactly the same, for all practical purposes. I've never heard any rationale for the C being stronger than the B. Same design and construction basically, except the C has ply ribs rather than built-up ribs. C's are newer, so the fleet has generally been subjected to less wear and tear than the B's.

That being said, you will be just as successful in competition with a B as with a C. We are realistically talking about Advanced being the highest category you will fly with either of these airplanes. To do well in any category, you must be able to fly well. The airplane doesn't do it for you. The very slight performance differences between the B and C will not matter here. Rob Bond has successfully flown a B in Unlimited at the Regional level (and done well) for about 10 years, but he is a freak. Don't pass on a solid B just because you think you want a C.

Last edited:

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, what he said.
The stick in the C is better balanced, but overall they will both get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

acroguy

Registered Users
Reaction score
There are two B's on Barnstormers now that meet your criteria.

JoshVoxc

Reaction score
I see that the C has a G limit of -5 and the B has a G limit of -3. Any reasoning behind this? My outside loops in the Super D are -3 to -3.5 so I'd be concerned over G'ing the B model in an outside loop. Josh

Skybolt31

Registered Users
Reaction score
I am concerned with the Eagles. I've read they have issues with the landing gear mounting area and cracking drag wire blocks in the wing. Josh
Some Eagles have had cracked lower longerons where the gear attaches, I am not aware of any that have resulted in a gear collapse. There is a Service Bulletin that has successfully eliminated the problem. I know there has been at least one Eagle that has had an issue with drag wire blocks. My plane has almost 2000 hours on it and has seen some hard use. I am in the process of recovering it and there were no issues with the drag wire blocks. The compression ribs where the drag wires are located are hollow behind the rear spar and can crush in under the pull of the wires. That is the theory anyway, but if built according to the instructions, most of that rib is hollow, but there is a vertical piece of wood on the spar face and most of the builders added wood internally. The ribs on my plane were hollow but are now filled with epoxy.

I have a good idea who is steering you away from Eagles, you should ask him about broken upper longeons and canopys that don't like to stay on the plane. Not to say that an Eagle will carry you as far in competition as an S2C, it is a plane at a lower price point. I just don't want you to make your decision based on distorted information.

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
I see that the C has a G limit of -5 and the B has a G limit of -3. Any reasoning behind this? My outside loops in the Super D are -3 to -3.5 so I'd be concerned over G'ing the B model in an outside loop. Josh
Well right or wrong, folks have been ignoring the negative G limit in Pitts for decades - and flying them in the -4.5G range seemingly without issue. My S-1S is certified for +6/-3G. When the S-1T came along, the negative limit was bumped up to -4.67G with no changes to the structure that should affect load limit, AFAIK. I've never read or heard what (if anything) Aviat changed to truly make the C stronger than the B under negative G.

Not necessarily a recommendation for exceeding limitations set by the MFG, but I would be fine pushing -4.5G in a B. Plenty have done so for a long time. I typically push up to about 4.5G in the S-1S. You can do just fine in Advanced at that number. No need to push more. Limiting your push to -3G can leave you with energy issues in certain types of vertical figures, which will affect your score. N/A until you start flying Advanced.

JoshVoxc

Reaction score
Thanks for the words of wisdom Bruce. Same to you too Grassroots. Bruce, are you using Stewart Systems or Polyfiber?

Latest posts