• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts Tires and wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planning my gear/wheel pants assembly and had a thought. Airframe is a short (short, short) S-1C/S. Pilot is low time TW pilot. I’m currently building some time in a Cessna 140. Planning appropriate transition training when I’m close to flying. In the 140, I’ve noticed a difference in landing and stability depending on tire size and plys. It seems to stick better and be a little more stable with 8” 4 ply and pressure around 20 psi. It’s a little more bouncy with 6”. That got me thinking (please don’t roast me), why not go from 5.00x5 6 ply to something like 6.00 4 ply…..or even 8.00, 4 ply on a Pitts for training? Based on not finding any posts on the topic, I suspect it may not be the good idea that I think it is. Has anybody had experience with this? I would plan wheel pants of appropriate size….

Latest posts

Back