• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts wing ribs construction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionel Hilber

Reaction score
Hi Together,

First of all, I´m a EU guy, so pls forgive me if my english is not so good. :)

I´m a big fan of the S1-11b and purchased the plans from AVIAT that summer. As I recieved them, I recognized, that the plans are detailled, but old and not up to date. As there are many guys here building their own S1 or S1-11b, I thougt, that it would make sence, to buld a thread to discuss the pro and contras around those airplanes escpectially the building methods and building procedures.

I studied Mecanical Business Administration here in Switzerland and learned the advantages from CAD-Mills, Laser-Cutters etc etc. When I got the plans from Aviat, I decidet not to start the build right now, but to build the airplane again on the Auto-Cad. Every fitting, every little part can so be built by CNC Machines for not a lot with a precicion that is outstanding. Now I started drawing the plane and I have some Ideas, how we could improve the airplane even mor.

Now tho all of you. It would be great if you (esectially guys who buil an S1-11b or S1) could tell what you would change or improve on the plans.

So let me get started: The Wing ribs are traditionally built and make a lot of simultanous work. Could I laser them out of playwood? playwood is stiffer and stronger than the "traditional" way...

Latest posts

Back