• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

PittsS1S for sale

jrs14855

Reaction score
1981 Pittts S1S, all factory welded structure except I struts and slave struts. See Barnstormers ad under Experimental Pitts dated Jan 8 for details. This is a magnificent airplane that would cost 150k plus to duplicate. $69k Contact the owner as listed on Barnstormers or contact Jim Stanton 928-208-1470 email [email protected]

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
740lbs empty weight is pretty good. Is it Angle valve Jim?

jrs14855

Reaction score
It is parallel valve with crankcase from Piper Seneca One, front mounted governor.

f18shack

Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Is he running an oil cooler in the turtle deck?

jrs14855

Reaction score
Yes oil cooler in the turtleneck to balance the constant speed prop.

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a very nice looking cheater T

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
740lbs empty weight is pretty good. Is it Angle valve Jim?
[EDIT] I misread the ad as angle valve. Even with parallel valve and that prop and governor minus elec/batt/starter, I'd bet money it's still over 800.

Last edited:

f18shack

Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Heavy motor heavy prop would take some aggressive weight savings in the build to get everything below 800. If he did it, I would like to copy it! My parallel valve, fixed pitch, minimal electrical airplane would be super light!

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Jim said it's a parallel valve engine.

jrs14855

Reaction score
Cheater T?? So much better than a T.
A quick T story: years ago I recovered the wings on a nearly new T because the finish was coming off the wings down to the bare fabric. I got to fly the T some while I was rerigging it. One of my tests was to hold the airplane just off the runway on takeoff and measure the sepped at the end of 3000' runway. Speed for the T was 140 indicated. My 180 hp S1S with custom metal prop made 160 at the end of the same runway. My S1S was right at 750# T was closer to 850, I don't remember the exact number. T had metal Hartzell c/s. So from a standing stop the Hartzell prop does not overcome the weight of the T.
The T's are great airplanes but so horribly heavy that there is no performance advantage. The T snaps better, I think because of the longer moment arm between the wings and tail. T lower wings are 4 1/4" further forward, upper wing 4 1/2".

jrs14855

Reaction score
Once again not a "heavy motor" maybe a few pounds for the governor. I don't have any numbers but the MT two blade is not that heavy.

f18shack

Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Jim I missed your earlier post regarding it being a parallel valve. I've been collecting all your weight savings ideas over the years and plan to use many of them in my S-1S build. This S-1S looks like a lot of care went into keeping it light.

I'm afraid if I buy a great flying S-1S my old one will never get rebuilt! So I'm shopping for a Cub...no chance of that making the old S-1S jealous.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The prototype T model, N22XP, was 790 lbs. Steam gauges, boat anchor starter, no battery rack and no battery (they used a power receptacle with a ground bound battery), barely enough dope to paint over, angle valve engine, and Hartzell two blade prop.

jrs14855

Reaction score
Ben- I saw 22XP at the Nationals. In 1975. I knew it was lighter than subsequent T's but did not have the exact weight. The brochure weight for the factory S1S was 720-750. That is with a fixed pitch metal Sensenich prop, no electric, probably no canopy. I got to fly a very early Curtis built S1S. A real performer. I don't know why so many don't believe a 700 pound S1S with Catto prop and a bit of carbon fiber is entirely possible. There is probably 10 pounds potential savings carbon vs factory just in the nose cowl and wheel pants.

Latest posts