PJ-260/Senior Aerosport

Discussion in 'Other Types' started by Flyncrown, Jul 1, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating:

1. Jul 11, 2018 #21

torch

torch

torch

I tried to find the Facebook page, no luck.
    Anyone know how different the Sportwing is from the 260?
    Any suggestions on reproducing very fragile blueprints?

2. Jul 11, 2018 #22

wzm

wzm

wzm

I'd recommend going to a print shop and paying them to scan your blueprints. I've done that for every set of plans I have, and the time savings of being able to use a computer for leafing through plans is completely worth it. If you need full sized plans again, you can print to scale based on measurements on your digital copies.

3. Jul 11, 2018 #23

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

The builder referred to in post 18 is deceased and his wife hung on to his flying PJ for several years. I think his last name was Jones and he was an auto body man from Metropolis,IL. I think the airplane is still in the area. It was a Lycoming powered PJ. I know they are not popular now but I well remember the ones at fly ins and Ed Mahler's airshows. Later I bought flying and landing wires from Nick DaPuzzo and he was told me he discouraged anybody interested in starting one as they would probably not finish it. The PJ is a busy design and about twice the work of a skybolt or SD II. I saw a 0-470 powered PJ at the Lee Bottom fly in about 15 years ago. Can't find a picture of it yet but I know I took one. I dig 'em. They are a part of homebuilt biplane history that I like to revisit.

4. Jul 12, 2018 #24

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How are they twice the work? More odd fittings or? I’ve always really liked them....I really thought it was a Homebuilt “upgraded” Great Lakes.

5. Jul 12, 2018 #25

jrs14855

jrs14855

jrs14855

The PJ was inspired by the Lakes but was a completely new design. Rod worked at Old Star Airport. Old Star was operated by John Van Sant who had a huge stock of L19 parts. The PJ landing gear and many small parts were from the L 19.
    Rod had modified two different Lakes, he won the National Aerobatic Championship in one.
    I don't believe Nick built the first PJ. There were a number of people around the area who were involved in the building.
    There were actually two Parsons/Jocelyn PJ's. The first was sold to the Chicago area and almost immediately crashed fatally. The second was involved in an Airshow ground collision with a 450 Stearman.
    In the early to mid 60's Rod and Lindsey were frequent visitors at Kobelt Airport. Among the borrowed airplanes that Rod would use for a show at Kobelts were a Rose Parakeet and early Pitts S1.
    There were two Senior Aero Sport's built in the North Philly area that were major award winners at EAA Rockford 1968.
    I did some welding on a Senior Aero project that later became L. Paul Soucy's "Big Butt Buster" . That airplane is believed to still exist in AZ.

iowaboy likes this.
  6. Jul 13, 2018 #26

torch

torch

torch

Anyone have even anecdotal pireps on these airplanes? They don't seem to be any heavier than most Skybolts, and have about 15-20 percent more wing area. Looks like more room in the cockpits.

7. Jul 13, 2018 #27

Kiwi

Kiwi

Kiwi

Registered Users

I am not surprised to hear the story Knight Twister told. Back in the 80's I wrote to Harvey Swack about the Great Lakes drawings he sold back then. The main thrust of his reply was "don't build one, they are very complicated". It somewhat surprised me as he was in the business of selling plans. But KT's story reminded me of that, and if the PJ is inspired by the Great Lakes..........

Andrew.

8. Aug 7, 2018 #28

iowaboy

iowaboy

iowaboy

Registered Users

Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/183844622218997

9. Aug 7, 2018 #29

iowaboy

iowaboy

iowaboy

Registered Users

I bought a PJ fuselage from a guy near Metropolis in about 2002. I sold it to a fellow in Utah in 2004 or so. There was a guy also from Metropolis area who finished a PJ. It was red and beautiful. I saw it at Oshkosh some years ago. He died and his wife sold it. It was owned by a fellow from near Morton IL for a time. That fellow flew it for a while and then was trying to sell it. I have tried to upload a photo of it. The fellow in Morton put on the black on the fuselage including the PJ.
    If anyone has copies of the Senior Aero Sport drawings I am interested in them.
    Mike in Iowa

Attached Files:

10. Aug 7, 2018 #30

iowaboy

iowaboy

iowaboy

Registered Users

Tom Hedderly your project looks real nice!!!

11. Aug 7, 2018 #31

iowaboy

iowaboy

iowaboy

Registered Users

Kent Gorton had a Lycoming radial powered PJ. He lives in Atlanta. He bought it with the radial installed and rebuilt it. He named it Satin Doll. He has it for sale. I think he also has another radial powered PJ. There are some real nice photos of it on the facebook PJ page. Here is Kent flying it at an airshow. The announcer is not quite factual.

12. Aug 8, 2018 #32

cerobinson

cerobinson

cerobinson

I flew this one in about 20 airshows in the late 90's early 2000's. Had an IO-470 260 HP. Spades and gap seals made it a totally different airplane. It would outperform the Super Chipmunk I have now.

Attached Files:

13. Aug 8, 2018 #33

iowaboy

iowaboy

iowaboy

Registered Users

That one is a beauty!