• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Planning electrical system/panel for S-1S rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been setting up my new hangar the past few weeks and should have the fuselage there by the end of the month. A completely refreshed electrical system is in the airplane's future and I'm trying to come up with a plan.

I looked at the original Pitts plans as well as a few diagrams posted by various homebuilders, and combined those ideas with a schematic that B&C has online for their products, including the SD-8 alternator. I'm also trying to get smart with FAA AC 43.13.

My prior electrical experience is limited to household/automotive work, so I'm looking to QA this diagram for the Pitts. Any feedback would be appreciated, especially negative for glaring errors, etc.

The stuff within the dotted-line box is straight off the B&C diagram, and to be honest, I don't really understand how it is supposed to work, other than its a relay that isolates the system in the event of an over-voltage. I eliminated the OV trip/alt offline light, as it didn't seem necessary in the Pitts and the ammeter should tell that story anyway.

The panel pic is the latest plan. The Velcro strips in the middle are for a small tablet mount, iPhone, or sequence card should the competition bug ever bite. My wet compass is outside on the end of the cabane fairing.

IMG_9325.JPG

IMG_8367.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back