Plans built Wacos

Discussion in 'Waco & Hatz' started by Defenseman1, Nov 25, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 25, 2017 #1

Defenseman1

Defenseman1

Defenseman1

Registered Users

I was in Andrew Kolaks hangar yesterday admiring his years of skill and labor building two Wacos from drawings. The Taperwing is really interesting. Everything true to original. I cringed looking at the tires and wheels and thinking about a narrow paved runway. He hand machined much of it, including the struts. The rugs on the floor, by the way, are from a rare barn find 38 Packard Victoria he has been restoring for two years. That thing is headed to a museum next summer.

Both planes will be flying this summer.

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

Dennis5678, airplanegeek and Kiwi like this.
  2. Nov 25, 2017 #2

bigblackmastiff

bigblackmastiff

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member

Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

3. Nov 25, 2017 #3

Dennis5678

Dennis5678

Dennis5678

Registered Users

Wow! Very Beautiful !
    When you said he machined the struts, is it the fittings?
    What engines are they using?

4. Nov 25, 2017 #4

iowaboy

iowaboy

iowaboy

Registered Users

Wow !!!!! Those look really great! Where is this fellow at? That is a bunch of work.
    Doing a great job it looks like!
    Mike

5. Nov 26, 2017 #5

Defenseman1

Defenseman1

Defenseman1

Registered Users

He machined every piece in those struts, including the body, valves, etc. Engine is a correct and rare Wright 760e. He researched factory paint options. The trim was a 50 dollar factory option when new, so he went with it. The fuel 1930's fuel gauge was the same part that was available and later adapted to P51 extended range tank during WWII. He sourced that part from surplus.

Dennis5678 likes this.
  6. Nov 26, 2017 #6

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think that P-51 gauge is the same one Ron Sands calls out for in the Fokker Dr1 Plans. I’d have to look but I know it’s a P-51 gauge of some sort that use to be cheap. Is the builder retired or what did he do? His work looks like something I’d expect from a full time master craftsman like Kevin Kimball and his shop. Beautiful! It’s always humbling to see a guy do stuff like this and then you think how long it takes you to do a much simpler rebuild.

7. Nov 26, 2017 #7

Dennis5678

Dennis5678

Dennis5678

Registered Users

Defenseman1
    Do you mean he machined the streamline struts too?

8. Nov 26, 2017 #8

bigblackmastiff

bigblackmastiff

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member

..i believe he means the landing gear strut assembly.

9. Mar 22, 2018 #9

stearmoth

stearmoth

stearmoth

In 2011 we met Andrew at his airport and could admire his beautiful UBF!
    Now I see for the first time a picture of his ATO project - amacing!!! Any more pics?
    My question: I would like the source of the beautiful slim tyre! Is this from Cocker Tyres or other brand? We would need the smaller size for a 16" rim for our Bendic wheels on the Vintage Hatz. Since new we used grinded down Shinko Harley Dav. tyres.
    Any replies most appreciated!

Hans & Sam, Vintage Hatz HB-YSH, Switzerland

10. Mar 22, 2018 #10

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hans and Sam, I found this reference a while ago. Probably Airdrome's wheels are too lightweight for full-scale planes like yours and the Charger I'm building, but they say they come with tires. I wonder if they might be able to tell you where to get different size tires:

http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/heavydutywheels.html

11. Mar 22, 2018 #11

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8 Supporting Member

Those are Coker tires mounted on 30x5 Bendix wheels. www.coker.com. Put smooth contour airplane tire in the search box on their website. They specify that the tires are for display use only.

Dave

12. Mar 27, 2018 #12

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

I wonder where they got the Bendix wheels. I think those are about as rare as you can get aren’t they? And the guy who was making new ones doesn’t anymore?

Odd they would put for static only...instead of for experimental only or something. What do the guys with certified planes do for tires in this size?

13. Mar 27, 2018 #13

clay

clay

clay

Museums are fine, One thing about Waco's is the club itself....they guard very jealously the Waco brand and originality and frown on replicas because it dilutes the originals value on market, so replicas are great for Waco's....IF you don't mind be looked down on by the clubbers. Its a social things for high end players or those that have very unique Waco's remaining in original condition.

14. Mar 27, 2018 #14

Morphewb

Morphewb

Morphewb

Wonder what the Waco folks thought about Redman's homebuilt Taperwings they were peddling? One next to my hangar called a Rare Aircraft T-10 with an EXP/Amateur license too.

15. Mar 27, 2018 #15

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8 Supporting Member

Well, being the membership chairman of the National Waco Club and having owned my Waco for 25 years I guess I qualify as one of those “clubbers”. My opinion is replicas are great. Just call them what they are....a replica. There is a guy in upstate New York building a replica SRE which may fly this summer. There is a replica S3HD being built in Ohio. Many of the Taperwings flying. The issue comes from people trying to pass of replicas as originals. Or a kit airplane that is a biplane with a round engine so let’s call it a Waco. That’s like saying a Starduster looks just like a Pitts. I will admit that the founder of the NWC, Ray Brandly, did not like the Classic Waco YMF-5. That time is long gone. Classic’s and replicas are welcome at the reunions in Mt. Vernon, OH every year and are welcome members of the club.

Dave

Jerry likes this.
  16. Mar 27, 2018 #16

Morphewb

Morphewb

Morphewb

Dave, I was scheduled to fly that Taperwing from another airport to our place. Long out of annual I was told it needed a ferry permit. I wasn't involved with any paperwork or FAA and I didn't find out until I was ready to pick the airplane up that it was one of Redman's homebuilt versions instead of a ''1929 Waco'' as was told to me by a rep of the owner. Pointed this out to the shop doing the annual and they revised their plans and did an ACI instead. I can certainly understand why club members would be concerned about correct representation especially after being involved with this event.

17. Mar 28, 2018 #17

clay

clay

clay

Well thank you for that update and I am glad that issue is turning around....another issue was the access to the factory drawings at NASM which at one time controlled by WACO "clubbers" and very difficult to get any factory drawings out to make a replica. Has that changed also? I was going to do a Waco CTO as shown in the military format, however the drawing release got insurmountable by the Waco gate keepers

18. Mar 28, 2018 #18

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Can you share the info on the replica S3HD?? That is in my top 5 all time favorite planes. If I ever built a plane from scratch I’d be chasing that rabbit.

19. Mar 28, 2018 #19

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8 Supporting Member

Hi Clay,
    As far as I know, the NASM is the only entity that controls the drawings for WACO aircraft. The drawings were donated to the NASM back in the late 1950's. Steve Curry sells a 2 CD set of WACO drawings that includes ALL WACO aircraft. There are some drawings missing from Steve's CD but most drawings in existence are on the CD's. I have around 300 drawings for different WACO models, many of them original factory drawings, and most were obtained from the NASM through the request process that they (NASM) set up. I also have the fuselage drawing for the O fuselage (10, ASO, ATO, CSO, CTO, etc). It is a rather large drawing, about 3'x 6', but you are more than welcome to a copy if I can find someone to make a copy.
    Dave

20. Mar 28, 2018 #20

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8 Supporting Member

Bendix wheels are fairly rare but come up for sale occasionally. The Fisher 30x5 wheels can be found if you know who to call. There has been a pair of Fisher wheels advertised on Barnstormers for the last year or so. Not cheap, but if you want a pair.......Most people try to stay on grass with the 30x5 wheels with smooth contour tires. Pavement and 30x5's don't play nice together. Any side load and first the tire rolls off the rim, usually followed by the wheel collapsing. Motorcycle or car tires with tread on 30x5's usually work better on pavement. Keep in mind that those wheels were mounted on airplanes designed to operate out of big square fields, not pave runways.
    Dave