• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

plywood VS truss ribs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeairshows

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a completed Skybolt that has plywood ribs of which the builder says he obtained the material from aircraft spruce. The guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about/on the up and up, but I wanted to do some checking here.

In the Pitts world I wouldn't even consider sparcraft wings as they are both heavier and tend to break near the I struts. Also many were actualy marine VS aircraft grade plywood. There actauly were some "Sparcraft Light" kits that were built with cap strips like how the S2C wings are built, and are supposed to be great. Keeping in mind that I will probably return to flying shows and will be flying VERY hard in this Skybolt if I get it I have some questions:

1)Are plywood rib wings considered as strong as truss style rib wings?

1A) Does it even matter as the Skybolt is so strong to begin with?

2) If plywood ribs are ok for hard core acro, what thickness/ply should they be?

Thanks,

Erik

Latest posts

Back