• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Plywood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a big lumber order to build a set of S1S wings. So far everything has been pretty straightforward, but when it comes to the plywood I am having trouble deciding wether to go with birch or mahogany. It’s my understanding that the birch is stronger, but the mahogany is a little lighter. I am leaning towards the mahogany for the weight savings though I know it’s very little, but every bit counts, and if I had experience with it and knew it would last fine in an aerobatic aircraft I would go ahead and do it. I don’t want to wish I had gone with the birch later if it would really be the better option. Maybe mostly mahogany with some birch in more critical areas. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back