• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Poly-Fiber repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
So as related elsewhere, I have an "L" shaped rip, about 12" on the long side, in my bottom fuselage fabric to fix. It's Stits, no urethane, thank God. My dilemma is how to do it. The Stits manual says to strip the coatings down to fabric, glue the patch on with poly-tak, then work up through the rest of the system, no sewing required... but it also says you can make a band aid repair by scuffing the paint and using poly-tak to glue it right over the old paint, but will look "rough'. It's not clear, but I guess they mean to cut out the damaged area to leave a rectangular hole to cover over?

OTOH, AC43.13 says to baseball stitch it together and dope a strip patch over it. One question, I guess, is if the paint layers are strong enough to hold a poly-tak'd patch, why not just adhere the patch with poly-brush? Especially if it's already stitched together.

It's not going to be visible on the bottom of the fuselage, but I still want to do it right.

Latest posts

Back