• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Possible new owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpin

Reaction score
I am presently a Decathlon owner that fortunately or unfortunately has a biplane bug. My Decathlon is simple, economical, versitile, comfortable, easy to land,and does all the acro I am interested in but, I keep gravetating toward a biplane. I flew an absolutely perfect Acroduster located in Utah but had a problem with the comfort level. Iam 5'9" 176 lbs and do not think I could have entered the aircraft with a chute. Reciently I started to lookfor Stardusters and flew one in CT. Is was not what I would call a good flying aircraft and I believe not a good representation of the breed.My Decathlon, not known for light quick controls was a Pitts compared to the Starduster I flew. In the process I have discovered the airfoilis typically and M6 and not symetrical. I am told the skybolt does sport a symetrical airfoil and designed more for arco than the Starduster. I am now looking for a Skybolt. My goal is to find something fairly comfortable to be in, capable of intermediate category acro, with a general condition (Paint, fabric, engine, etc) of 8.5 to 9, and fun to fly. Any suggestions regarding what to look for, what to watch out for, design changes I might want to be aware of, and any names of Skybolt "gurus" would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Latest posts

Back