• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Prints not exact to scale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichards0

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is a problem with my prints or normal and I'm being too picky. I'm going over all of the prints and starting to cut out parts (gussets) for the wing ribs. I'm using a laser cutter and was translating the prints into CAD drawings. When I started measuring the dimensions on the prints, my ruler doesn't match the numbers on the ribs. For example, sheet 12 on the upper wing tip rib, the drawing shows from the leading edge to centers of each truss 4 3/8, 10 3/8, 16 3/8 ... I'm getting 4 3/8, 10 7/16, and16 7/16 respectively. the length of the rib on the print says 35.5, but I measured it at 35.625. There's an extra 8th inch. Is this a problem or am I being too precise? I was hoping to use the print to compare my parts to. All of the rib sheets are off an 8th here or a 16th there.

Thanks,

- Matt

Latest posts

Back