• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Prop wanted

Cub822

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting to look for a prop for my exp Pitts S1S project.
I’d like to go composite
Stock 180 hp IO 360 1/2” flange lugs

I’ve been told these work well:
Catto 74/60
Prince 76/54

Open to suggestions

thanks,
Doug

Gmovies

Reaction score
I have traditional Aluminum Sensenich 76 x 56 from my old experimental S1S that was parted out. It has about 530 hours on it since new. Never reworked.

Paul

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
Those Catto numbers are definitely not for a 3-blade that will work on an S-1. Craig builds 3-blades standard for 360s and you'd want something more like 72-56 max for a 180 without performance mods. I preferred his 54 on mine for optimal acro performance. Not sure what a comparably performing 2-blade would be, diameter and pitch wise. Not sure I've seen a 2-blade Catto on a 360, not that he couldn't build one for you.

flyinlo

Reaction score
Those Catto numbers are definitely not for a 3-blade that will work on an S-1. Craig builds 3-blades standard for 360s and you'd want something more like 72-56 max for a 180 without performance mods. I preferred his 54 on mine for optimal acro performance. Not sure what a comparably performing 2-blade would be, diameter and pitch wise. Not sure I've seen a 2-blade Catto on a 360, not that he couldn't build one for you.
I've mostly seen 3-blade props lately from Catto, but Craig has done lots of 2-blade props for 360's. Many of the guys I race with at Reno run 2 blade Catto props on their pumped up 360's.

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have had good results from Performance Propeller USA out of Texas, Frank Johnson, you won't find a more honest smart guy to do business with.
i think the company has it's roots in Bernie Warnke since the 50 or so laminations give semi-constant speed twist.

grassroots

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've mostly seen 3-blade props lately from Catto, but Craig has done lots of 2-blade props for 360's. Many of the guys I race with at Reno run 2 blade Catto props on their pumped up 360's.
Cool - 2-blades are definitely uncommon for the acro Pitts folks. 3 blades flex a little less for snaps and tumbly stuff and definitely make less noise at 3400 RPM. :)

flyinlo

Reaction score
Cool - 2-blades are definitely uncommon for the acro Pitts folks. 3 blades flex a little less for snaps and tumbly stuff and definitely make less noise at 3400 RPM. :)
I think Craig started doing a lot of 3-blade props after he got the CNC mill in the shop to shape the props a lot more easily and accurately. I only know of a couple of 3-blade props he did before then.

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some more history of Performance Propellers;
Bernie Warneke "almost constant speed" prop. He made laminated wooden props; most have 5-10 layers. His had 30-35 layers, flexing under load to emulate a constant speed prop.
Bernie Warnke passed away some time ago. Margie Warnke (Bernie's Daughter) made props for a few years following Bernie's passing, but has since moved on to other endeavors. They used 1/8" laminate wood cores for their props. Clarke Lydick (Performance Propellers) learned the trade from Bernie as well while he was Bernie's son-in law and made a very similar prop, but eventually sold his business. I've never seen anything from the company since it was sold.

crmeyer

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three blade Catto for sale in the parts section if anyone's still looking.

Chris

Cub822

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a prop.
Pitts S1S
IO 360 180hp experimental
two or three blade, metal or composite.

currently have Catto
3 blade 74” 58” can only get 2000 static.
Nickel leading edge, they can’t shorten it.

Catto is for sale…
300 hrs ( previous owner) $1150 prop only, located KIZA
4ABC17F7-7AF9-41B7-A53A-8F9B0386A634.jpeg

D24EFC9E-9284-4DBF-BCD2-951B796C8C66.jpeg

timmayb67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sent a PM to you, I might be in the market for FWF for my project. I'm looking at a 200HP IO360 which might turn it better

pitof

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 76x58 Bernie Warnke Wooden Propeller on my Pitts S1S stock 180hp and it will be for sale as soon as I get the 3 blade Catto I've ordered , if you are interested.
I guess I'll get it by the end of the month, hopefully.

Latest posts