• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Prop

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This prop came as part of a partially completed Pitts project it is a 68x63 wood prop of unknown manufacture. It has what might be the signature of the maker of the prop onit and thename of the person who started the projectis penciled in the backside of the hub. I dont think68x63 is thebestcombination for a 290/320 lycoming on a Pitts S1-D.

The propdoesnt appear to have ever been used and looks brand new and well builtbut it ispropbably 15 years old or so and experimental only.

900 + shipping/ OBO

uploads/20111230_085207_prop002.jpg

Edited by: garyg

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like a Warnke prop. The diameter is a bit short, and the pitch a bit steep for a 290/320.

Danny

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are correct. I can read the "Bernie" part of the signature on the prop. The last namw starts with a W and from there, like most signatures, it is a guess but after searching for his name, I found "Bernie Warnke" and now I am sure that is what it is. Thanks. Might be better listed on a (the?)RV board?

Probably made before he died. The original owner is also deceased.

uploads/20111230_150729_prop004.jpgEdited by: garyg

jstreat

Reaction score

Garyq,Great prop. Someone will want it. Bernie built the last one for me before he passed away. Company is now in the hands of the third owner. All trade secrets have been passed down. Performance Propeller is now building me my third prop for my 300+hp bipe. Youcan give Frank a call ( http://performancepropellersusa.com/ContactUs.htm) to run the numbers you have. May work.JStreat

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A 290 Pitts would have something like a 72x54 in a wood Sensenich.

Bernie built some great props and a lot of the VW guys wouldn't fly anything else. He figured his pitch angles a little differently from most other prop makers so his pitch values didn't equate to the same number. Figure out what it is for and someone will have a great prop.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I figure I would look for something like a 74x56 wood. Currently the engine that came with the project is 290G converted to 0.020 290D pistons with a flange re-enforcementand Ellison TB (140hp?). Although the engine is fresh and never started I decide to go with a 320 because of greater long tern desireability. So I have purchased a 320 and its pieces are at the machine shop now. SoI will soon be selling the 290.

I went to the suggested web site and they want 1500 for a similar prop. Props, Inc was my guide and they are asking 900 to a 1000. Is there that much difference in quality? Is it noticeable? Am I asking the for the appropiate amount?

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I have a 74x56 wood Sensenich on my O320A2B (150hp)with an Ellison EFS-4 and 4 into 1 exhaust. Turns 2400rpm static. Should be good on my Acro II(not flying yet) but a S1 could probably use a 74x58. Can't really comment on the prop value but it doesn't seem to be out of line with what I would expect.

I'm guessing your prop was intended for A RV-3 or 4, T-18, Midget Mustang, Glasair I or similar.

Edited by: Neil

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting that you said Midget Mustang because I looked up the original owner's name on the web and I ran into an FAA accident report where he crashed a Midget Mustang on its maiden voyage. If this prop was ever bolted to anything it didnt go far. Maybe this was the prop off the mortal remains of Midget Mustang? If so, this prop would be closer to 1990 build. The fellow that bought the project from the orignal owner's estate didnt know if the prop was part of the project or not but itbecame part ofthe project.

Update: this was not from a midget mustang. There is no way any prop would have survived. I dont thinkthis propwas ever bolted to anything beyond a test stand.Edited by: garyg

Snaproll

Reaction score

I've got a Warnke prop off a 150 hp Midget Mustang and it doesn't look anything like that. Guess it was for a Continental. BTW, I spent a butload of money getting a Catto and an MT to replace the Warnke. Both were good props..had their advantages...but that Warnke did just fine and I could have saved a lot of money if I hadn't tried to change what worked. I've still got it if someone wants a MM1 prop for their 150 Lyc with 3/8'' bolts.

Latest posts