• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Propeller mounting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Stupid questions probably, but Lycoming engines are new to me, only had a Continental in my T-Craft and some experimental engines before... all those had either AN bolts and cotter pinned castle nuts (Continental & Mosler) holding the prop on, or bolts in threaded holes in the redrive pulley on 2-strokes, and thus the props only ever had straight thru holes for the bolts. The prop flange bushings in the O-290 in my Hatz are new to me, with the prop bolt holes counterbored from the back for the bushings... obviously no surprise to anybody familiar with these engines.

But (and the reason for my question), all those previous planes had wood props, whereas my current plane has a Sensenich metal prop... which I plan to replace with a wood prop. So the question is, do wood prop installations use the same bushings as the metal prop, with the prop bolt holes counterbored on the back side? And any prop maker should know the standard dimensions for those holes for a Lycoming?

The second question (see picture below) relates to the sealant inside the hub. The Lycoming overhaul manual shows an expansion plug in the crankshaft for fixed pitch prop installations which is I assume what is there, is adding additional sealant (looks like silicone) normal procedure? There's no evidence of leakage.

upload_2019-8-6_22-32-0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back