• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Propeller Mysteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyboltone

Reaction score
Will a 76 X 54 wooden Sterba absorb 150hp without over speeding the engine on take-off? I don't think that's necessarily a dumb question. Is it?

Stated differently, what do you guess would be the static RPM of that propeller driven by an O-320?

Then of course we need to talk about drag. That propeller would probably overspeed on an RV but would it on a Starduster SA-100? One might of course mark any sort of red-line on one's tachometer one wishes but one might also want to use every bit of power available on take-off. Without, that is, needing to horse around with the throttle on take-off.

These are questions one needs to answer before making a decision on what sort of engine to build up for his project you know? They are also questions that mystify many people in the extreme.

One has located a brand new never been used O-290D2 case and a serviceable crank for reasonable dollars but one must choose his cylinders wisely it seems. One might want to keep the WOT speed under 138mph maybe. Great big tires look good on little biplanes.

Some wags swear that their SA-100s go 150mph at 75% power with an o-290GPU. I personally think that's bovine excrement, but I've been wrong a few times.

Latest posts

Back