• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Protecting new metal parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm pondering what to do with my first welded airplane parts once I've got them done. Searching through the forum I find a lot of contradictory ideas that are mostly aimed at people making repairs rather than making a new part. At the moment, I'm talking about the compression tubes for a Charger wing (two sliding sections that get bolted together once length is determined), but I'll soon have to deal with built-up structures where I can't easily get inside all the parts, like the aileron pivot fittings (plan attached).

I see three issues to solve. The first is, how do you protect the outside of the part? My best guess right now is Stewart's EkoPoxy (I expect to be using Stewart finishes on the fabric). The second is, how to protect the otherwise unmolested interior (with mill scale and oil still intact). The third: how to protect the slide-fit interfacing metal between the bigger and smaller tube? I don't have any idea what to do about the second problem (boiled linseed oil is the one suggestion I've seen, though that advice is usually accompanied by "but you don't need to"). For the third, I'm inclined toward Lanocote rather than Mastinox, though I suspect Mastinox is the best thing. It's hard to justify the 10-20x price differential between the two, though.

How do you keep things like this from rusting out in the relatively moist environment of the Pacific Northwest?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-10_14-26-53.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-10_14-26-53.png
    308.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back