• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Proud New Pitts (plural) owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grum.man

Reaction score
As many know from my other thread I have been wanting to build a biplane for a while. Given the little difference in build cost I was really planning on building a 2 seater. I've been researching and reading for months now. Started to do the math, price materials, and put a plan together only to be shocked at the cost and lack of availability of wood and other products one needs to build such planes. I changed paths a little and put a wanted ad out for biplane projects. To my surprise I got quite a few replies for biplanes not on the market. Some were just too far away, or not what I was looking for even though the price was right. The lure of a Pitts has always spoken to me so when a gent from VA called and said he had one at a fair price I was all in. But wait, he had two... an S1C and an S1S and he really wanted them both gone. I mean really! So now I have a pair.

They both had landing mishaps that damaged the gear and lower cowling. The S1S has a scrape on the lower wing but nothing that couldn't be sanded out. The C has a new gear under it that needs to be finished, the S is just cobbled together so it can be moved. They both need a recover, paint, engine and prop. The S appears to have sparcraft wings.

My plan is to tackle the C first. Overall it's in better shape. I've been toying with the idea of trying to make it super light and relatively lower powered. Make it a good sport plane that can hang out with my buddies in their 140's and frequent grass strips. Maybe try the Franklin 4A-235 in it, inverted systems, no electrical, no smoke. Maybe get it down to under 700 lbs, the data plate said it weighted 750 with the O-360 so it's possible.

The S I will set aside for now. It appears to have Sparcraft wings which I need to research, I remember seeing some negative reviews on this site. My plans for it will likely be to make it more of a hot rod. RV/wolf gear, 180hp Titan engine, and either keep the wings or ditch them for some wolf ones. It will need a full tear down and fuselage sandblasted.

Needless to say I will be busy for the time to come, Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back