• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Race Those Biplanes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopmo

Reaction score
We had our IAC Chapter 24 meeting scheduled at GYI Perrin Field in Sherman, Texas this last Saturday April 6. Turned out the Sport Air Racing League (SARL) had the Texoma 100 Air Race scheduled in the morning so I entered my Pitts S-1C in the Biplane Red class (under 320 cid). It only cost $30 to enter and I paid a one time/one race membership of $10 (necessary for insurance). It was a blast despite the blustery winds with gusts over 30 mph. N17PB averaged 160.34 mph over the 137 nm course. Not bad for an 0320 powered S-1C but surprisingly good enough to set the record for Biplane Red in SARL! I highly recommend entering one of the SARL events. They are extremely well run and you get a lot of bang for the buck. Breakfast and lunch was provided and the goody bag with shirt and hat alone was worth the entry fee.

One other biplane raced by twenty something year old Jake Stewart. This Pitts had an 0360 set up for racing and fully sheeted S-1D wings. It was a rocket and averaged 202 mph over the same course. He too set a record for his class (Biplane Blue). Young Jake says he loves passing RV's!

2013-04-06 09.01.13.jpg

2013-04-06 09.01.29.jpg

2013-04-06 09.01.51.jpg

2013-04-06 09.12.16.jpg

Latest posts

Back