• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Radial Powered Stardusters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As most know I am an avid collector of all things Starduster, especially pictures of Stardusters. In my collection and research starting back in the mid 80s their have been right at two dozen Stardusters powered with some sort of radial engine. Most have been powered with the W-670 220 hp Continental, followed by the Jacobs, then the Warner and actually a few kinner's, there was also one with a Rotec Radial that I do not have pictures of. Their were several being built with M-14P but none that have actually flown with it, that I am aware of. You have heard from many, especially want to be builders that a biplane needs to have a round engine on it to be a real biplane. The problem is to make a really nice one and have it become aesthetically appealing is not easy to do, along with nice flying qualities is also not easy either. Many have tried but few have been successful"My opinion"... So here are some pictures I have of Stardusters with round engines. I think the two best looking ones are either Kevin Shaw's, the red one with the 220 Continental, or Dick Pearsall's with the Warner the white one with the bumped nose cowl now in Canada, for me it would be a toss up. By the way I have about 14 hrs in N147DA.

Dave

N107JC 8.jpg
N  ZU_FWC.jpg
N7X   Will Neuberts 220 HP radia smalll.JPG
N459K  Kevin Shaw Radial Starduster.jpg
Radial Starduster Too.jpg
Radial Starduster N53T.jpg
N9JR Starduster_Too_Amateur-Built.jpg
Beelzabub 061.jpg
120SRpic1.JPG
245 sideview.jpg
203050-100_5505.jpg