• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

RADIAL starduster for sale!

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking plane. Indeed, I strongly agree.

Price? Not sure?

I recently read the engine comments in "Building the Gold Duster" which suggest that a radial is rather problematic for the aircraft. Three basic concerns: (among others)

1. heavy
2. Heavy
3. HEAVY
:rolleyes:

I owned a very light 200HP IO360 SA300 and while it was a very nice airplane but my 150 horse S1C was more impressive. I wonder what the extra drag & weight will do to the SA300 in the air wow factor?

That said,

I'd sure like to try it on for size!:D
It has plenty of ground based wow factor for sure. really, Really, REALLY COOL!

(BTW. One way to cure the old original gear/engine mount problem:))

Last edited:

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here flown one of the Radial engine Skybolts or Stardusters? I see the advertised for sale periodically, and I always wonder how they fly, and how well they hold up. Seems to me that they'd weigh considerably more than was intended by their designers. I've flown a 200 HP Starduster and a 180HP Skybolts. Both were nice flying planes, but neither climbed like the proverbial homesick angel. I understand why folks put O-470's or O-540's on them. Wondering how much difference in weight there is between the radial engines and the O-540.

Also wondering what the spin recovery is like with radials. My Ranger powered Great Lakes always took about ½ turn longer to recover than a flat-engined Lakes.

(Oops! Just saw EAABipe40FF's reply. I swear it wasn't there when I started typing. Thanks.)

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is one good looking Starduster Too! I can not believe the prices these days. Hope who ever ends up with it finds the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've learned to believe the prices. Things do NOT seem to be getting better. Not the time to sell for sure. Every time I log onto BS(at least twice/day) it seems another seemingly great plane @ great price is being offered even cheaper. Not good.

I hope things get better. I should have the Duster in the air this summer and I can NOT keep both airplanes........

unless I can hide one in a friends hangar

I did that with an "extra" motorcycle one time and Marcia caught me.

(Oops! Just saw EAABipe40FF's reply. I swear it wasn't there when I started typing. Thanks.)

Done it several time myself. Great minds think alike(sometimes)

Jack

Last edited:

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I think it would be a Great pancake getter, Sunday morning open cockpit cruiser, etc. It looks very nostalgic 30's for sure. As for acro performance I'd think you'd still need a nice S1S hiding over in your buddy's hangar where the wife can't find it.

Trevor11AC

Registered Users
Reaction score
I just took a friend up in my dads radial starduster. Yes its heavy at 1800. 245 jake and 2d20. He isnt into heavy acro just rolls and occasional loop, and im close to finishing a clip t craft for heavier acro. Just keep "Gs" down below 4. Really fun plane to fly! Id like to har what this one is empty weight. Trevor

1402177391001.jpg

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After thinking about it and reading his spec. sheet.......I really think the WOW factor out weighs the weight(pun intended). Load limit is issue but it's indeed as good a pancake getter as it gets. If I had say a 165 Warner in the corner I might try stuffing it onto my Duster(although a SA300 would be a better fit)

I've got to stop looking at it. :)

PS I wish Brian would stop giving me ideas.

My buddy has a Pitts project, 75% done and all parts except engine. He's offered me 1/2 for a runout engine I have under my bench. He will overhaul the engine if I finish the Pitts. I should have done that deal before I got the duster project......(it would really be mine since he likes hamburgers more than flying...if you know what I mean)

But believe it or not, it was Marcia who "made" me get he SA750.......

If I live long enough I may end up with all three.....

Oh well

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was my Ranger Starduster Too hangar mate out in California. I'd love to reunite them ;-) but that money thing gets in the way. Someone's going to get a steal! It would cost $70k-80 to build I'd bet.

Roy35ka

Reaction score
It seems that CG could also be an issue. From the photos it appears to have relatively short engine mount, and the prop is a lot closer in than a flat engine.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The owner was nice enough to send me the weight and balance info. If I didn't have the Ranger Starduster or more importantly if I had more money this would already be sold! Someone in OKC please buy this and we can share a hangar ;-)

With the wood prop its empty weight is 1511lbs empty CG 14.88

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1402531541.441023.jpg

That's the lightest radial powered one i have seen. My Ranger powered Starduster was 1556lbs empty with metal blade controlable prop. You really couldn't get it out of CG though.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
It is a very cool airplane. I almost bought it about 5 years ago but bought a Skybolt instead. If he would have delivered it I would have bought it.

smutny

Biplane Addict
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a ton of aircraft photographs that were left in the home I just bought. Will be posting a few to the Starduster Pic thread shortly.

This one belongs here though. It's labeled "Watsonville Calif 1971"

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1402597570.044270.jpg

lanceav8r

Reaction score
The Radial Starduster Too is purely about fun and nostalgia and not about aerobatics. They look AWESOME and are great for buzzing the beach and going for a hundred dollar hamburger.

I would love to have this airplane. Who has a hangar I can hide it in around So Cal?

Latest posts