• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Radio Wanted

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone have a half decent looking panel mounted COM tranceiver they would sell me? Not looking for mortgage payment models..
thanks
beej

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We take a ton of avionics out at work for upgrades, most of it is 24V but I'll see what we have at the shop in 12V tomorrow for ya.

Buckeagle

Reaction score
Check out the Flightline FL-760. We are putting one in the Yak right now. Very light and was about $650 dollars. Built in intercom and music tap.
Buck

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I looked at that, great value, but I did notice the VOX intercom system by design gets interrupted from incoming radio...those lcd displays are also pretty small...and I am starting to get the dreaded 'old dudes eye sight'...
I do have a separate intercom system, by all accounts, most avionics guys recommend a separate intercom system..that approach can apparently save a lot of grief..

Buckeagle

Reaction score
I just noticed that it is also a hot mike intercom. Not a problem in the Yak (1 seat) but gets old in a two seater.
Buck

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Buckeagle said:
..Not a problem in the Yak (1 seat) but gets old in a two seater.
Could be a real pain if you like talking to yourself..

darylat8750

Reaction score
"Could be a real pain if you like talking to yourself..
"

The real problem comes when you answer yourself.

wally

Reaction score
I have a Flightline 760 in my single place Pitts and like it.

It has some features I didn't hook up that kinda wish I had. I think I remember a way to add a remote switch (on the stick?) to change or step through the preset frequencies.

The knobs are prett small but I don't have a problem unless it is bumpy weather. Even then, not too hard to do.

A nice radio.
WallyEdited by: wally

MNForrest

Reaction score
For what it's worth - I put a Becker in my Pitt's over a year ago, and it has been great. AMAZING reduction in cockpit noise transmitted compared to the King that it replaced.

robertsailor

Reaction score
I have a Microair M-760 that I replaced after a failure on my ferry trip home with a brand new one as I was in a hurry and there were no repair shops in Phoenix. I sent it in to the East Coast dealer when I got home and paid to have it repaired as well as brought up to brand new standards.
It fits in a normal instrument hole and is quite shallow. I was going to just keep it but would sell it to you. I'd need to get around $600.00 for it. No Harness.

Tomcat

Reaction score
I've got a nice as removed KY-97A comm for sale. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just won't work in the panel of my S-1. What are you looking to spend John?

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks all. I am sorted.

Flying Ant

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Robert, how deep is that Microair? I'm interested but I've got very very little room behind my panel.

robertsailor

Reaction score
The Microair is a little more than 5" deep plus you have to allow another 1-1/2" for the harness. Cheers, R

Tomcat

Reaction score
I'm going to put an MGL V6 in my S-1 when I get to that point. They are about the smallest panel mount you can get from what I've found. They are also making a version of the V6 that has a remote mount face for those places that have absolutely no room behind the panel. The remote face V6 is not available yet but will be by this summer.

Latest posts