• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Raven Locking Tailwheel / Cockpit Locking Mechanism

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
Didn't plan on selling this, but I've decided to go with a 6" tailwheel tire rather than the 4" that this model is equipped with. I primarily operate out of a grass strip, so the larger tire diameter should help with the rough field.

This was purchased directly from Raven and is brand new in the original box, haven't even mocked it up. I also purchased a special order 10' positive locking mechanism from Spruce for the astronomical sum of $115. Since I no longer have any use for the locking mechanism I would be willing to include it in the sale. Altogether these items cost me $560 (not including shipping).

Asking $400 shipped to your door.

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Screen shot 2014-05-22 at 10.55.36 AM.png

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What changed your mind? I actually have the 6" set up and just thought about switching to the typical 4" wheel.

Last edited:

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
What changed your mind? I actually have the 6" set up and just thought about switching to the typical 4" wheel.
I've been going back and forth about this for a few months now, and I have to admit, the decision to let it go is somewhat impulsive. The deciding factor for me was another S1 pilot with a 4" Raven who occasionally visits my home field.

He said that maneuvering the small tailwheel on the soft and uneven grass is difficult. Apparently it takes a decent amount of power to overcome the rolling resistance of the tiny tailwheel, he related it to rollerblading on grass.

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Makes since. Unfortunately, I fly exclusively off hard surfaces. If you want any pics of the 6" installed just let me know.

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
Makes since. Unfortunately, I fly exclusively off hard surfaces. If you want any pics of the 6" installed just let me know.
If you happen to have some pics of the 6" that would certainly be nice to see. When I spoke to Rob at Raven he said that the vast majority of S1 owners opt for the 4". The grass also makes a steerable setup a bit more forgiving, so I'm currently looking into both options.

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made a minor repair today to the steering link attach holes at the bottom of the rudder. Let me get the rudder back on and with the chains attached and I'll be happy to shoot you some photos.

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the 6" tail wheel. ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1400813684.214334.jpgImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1400813701.963249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think it depends on the grass strip last weekend I flew into and taxied around at horn point md18 (1 day after terrential down pour) without to much trouble with a 4" steerable. Also note that this 2650 ft grass strip only opens 1 time each year for this fly in I went to.

1400814445580.jpg

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another photo to see how deep the grass was. This is just my opinion, the grass strip you fly out of may not be suitable for a 4" but at that point a 6"might not be significantly better.

1400814907650.jpg

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
Thanks for the images and advice guys, I appreciate the input. It looks like you both run an API product? I actually just purchased a Screaming Eagle tailwheel with a 6" tire last night (unfortunately I missed your posts prior to ordering).

I also opted for the RV Rocket steering link, which I'm not sure anyone has used on a Pitts before. It may not work as well as I hope, but my overwhelming curiosity got the better of me. Plus I figure if I need to sell it, there is likely an RV owner looking for one.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've installed the Screamjng eagle unit on a RV-8. Overall nice unit but the API offers better tire clearance...Screaming Eagle unit offers more than a stock vans tailwheel because its angled down where the stock vans is straight aft. Ill try to find pics...I think the steering mech is roughly the same on API and Screaming Eagle.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1400851270.468458.jpgImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1400851280.767481.jpgImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1400851289.398265.jpg

Several people complain they get the tail wheel stuck because they hit the front of a stock vans on the edge of a taxi way or uneven surface etc. both API and Screaming Eagle help this.

Last edited:

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
I've installed the Screamjng eagle unit on a RV-8. Overall nice unit but the API offers better tire clearance...Screaming Eagle unit offers more than a stock vans tailwheel because its angled down where the stock vans is straight aft.

Several people complain they get the tail wheel stuck because they hit the front of a stock vans on the edge of a taxi way or uneven surface etc. both API and Screaming Eagle help this.
Thanks for the info and pics, I can see what you mean about the improved clearance of the API unit. The deciding factor for me was the Rocket steering link, I liked the concept and was interested to see how it would effect the ground handling characteristics of an S1.

Tomcat

Reaction score
Is the "Rocket Stearing Link" a solid link from rudder horn to tailwheel steering arm? I would think having a direct link between rudder and tailwheel would be way too sensitive for an S1. Not that you couldn't get used to it but seems like it'd be way more challenging than necessary, especially in crosswind conditions.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The Rocket link has a compressible section in it that allows some rudder travel before it moves the tail wheel.

Latest posts