• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Re-clock Lycoming Mechanical fuel pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Hill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an S-1E with a IO-360 with a Silverhawk injection system that we've been taking apart and putting back together. We had the motor gone through by a local shop and as part of that, they exchanged the fuel pump and put an overhauled unit on. When we tried to start the motor this morning I discovered that the orientation of the fuel inlet and output on the mechanical fuel pump are 180deg different from what they had been last time the aircraft flew. Since the fuel supply is on the lower left side of the firewall and the inlet for the fuel servo is on the right side of the engine, it seems to make sense to have the pump inlet on the left and the output on the right. After talking to Tempest, I found that Lycoming doesn't sell a pump with the inlet on aircraft left and outlet on the right.

I see my options as; partially disassemble the pump and rotate the middle portion of the housing 180deg so fuel lines fit (auto pumps are generally built to do this). OR get some elbows and some more hose and crisscross the fuel lines going to/from the mechanical pump.

As I hate to be the first guy to try something new, has anyone else had any experience rotating the pump inlet and output?

Latest posts

Back