• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

RE3H5 rod end for ailern hinge

wminear

Reaction score
Having trouble locating. RE3H5's. The rod end for the aileron, does anyone have any suggestions? The ones at ACS do not have a .435 shank that I could find. They all seem to be threaded.

I have seen posts for this but no good answers. I thought I would ask again. (they were old.)

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and one little tip, when putting the 2 rivets through it, fill the shank hole with t-88, that will keep the rivet from sqeezing or bending in the middle. (another priceless tip in the acrosport newsletters!)

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't forget to have a kleenex in your hands when u see the prices :0)....

wminear

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm going to try and see if I can find them cheaper from a bearing place.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
$58 at Steen is probably the best you'll find. Unfortunately, these fafnir bearings have always been high dollar...

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I second the micro minature bearings they have great service and are atleast 10 to 20% off anywhere else and prompt service

jrs14855

Reaction score
If this is new construction there is quite a bit of variation in the exact size of 4130 tube. If the bearing is just a little loose you can shrink the tubing a bit by heating with oxy/acy torch. If the tube is too small and the bearing will not fit you will have to hone the inside of the tube to produce a snug fit on the bearing. This can be done with a slotted tube, 3/8 or smaller diameter, with a strip of emery cloth thru the slot and wrapped around the tube. Chuck the tube in a drill press or drill motor.

jrs14855

Reaction score
A cheap bearing cost Sean Tucker an airplane. He did not intentionally use a cheap bearing, he thought they were all Fafnir. A cheap bearing was somehow mixed in by the supplier.

DragonflyDH90

Reaction score
MMB bearings are still Fafnir just that they dont try and gouge every last sent from you like some places.

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Check the specifications and ask the person selling you the bearings to provide a "certificate of conformity" The certificate should come from the manufacturer and have a real person's signature. If not, you might be getting knock off parts from who knows where. Many internet merchants sell name brand products that are not made by the manufacturer whos name appears on the parts. Sad, but true. In my years as an inspector in the aerospace industry I have seen this trend increasing. Mexico and China are the main offenders.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The "Certificate of Conformity" paper work is not something to be taken lightly.
Many years ago I was in a bearing factory in Connecticut looking at some equipment to buy. They made Standard Bearings and Aircraft Bearings. The Aircraft Bearings were made in a separate area of the factory. The equipment was painted white an enclosed in climate controlled areas that were Hospital clean. While the Standard Bearing and the Aircraft Bearing might have shared the same part number their would be a suffix that designated the bearing grade. Most all bearings, like the wheel bearings on an automobile, can be purchased in several grades. This is what sometimes allows discount parts chains the ability to undersell an OEM part.

I have no idea if this is the case with Fafnir Rod End Bearings. Just a heads up to finding a lower priced bearing. Buyer beware.

cashflyer

Reaction score

I have been wondering, since I have seen several threads on the internet where people complain about the price of the RE3H5's, why has somebody not redesigned the aileron hinge to accept a different bearing?

There are plenty of aircraft certified rod ends that can be had cheaper than the RE3H5. I would even say that there are better rod ends than the RE3H5. You just need to make a hinge to accept them.
Edited by: cashflyer

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen several instances where a different style aileron hinge bracket was designed. One that comes to mind is a fully machined aluminum bracket that uses a simple press in bearing. Problem is the cost of the bracket far exceeds the cost of the Fafnir rod end.

I have also seen some where a stud or threaded insert was used in the bracket that would allow a male or female rod end and allow for some adjustment.

If you make changes on your own, you are on your own.

cashflyer

Reaction score
I assume that before Steen started selling pre-made hinge brackets, you were on your own with the plans anyway. I see no difference, with regard to safety, in fabricating hinge brackets using the plans as a guide but substituting an aircraft grade threaded rod end for the fafnir rod end.

Would the cheaper price of the alternate rod end not offset the cost of fabbing your own hinge brackets? And would the convenience of easier replacement and easier adjustment not make this a change worth consideration?

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

if it aint broke.... fix it till it is...... these hinges are light and strong. i always get a kick out of reading these posts on substituting "cheaper" bearings. the average pitts, skybolt, acrosport, starduster, ect. ect. build depending on engine is going to cost the builder between 30 and 60 grand. is the primary control system bearings a place to cheap out? what are you going to save, 500 bucks? ill fly on the proven design, with proven bearings. i bet the person substituting cheaper bearings is the first one to install some multi thousand dollar whizz bang pretty color efis system though.......

problem with a threaded rod bearing on a control surface, if performing a tumbling maneuver, tailslide, whip stall, or anything that will load the ailerons from the top or bottom will put the threaded portion of the rod end in sheer. Edited by: smizo

wminear

Reaction score
Smizo,

I understand you don't know me, and I'm ok with that. But please keep your immature commentary to yourself. I understand your trying to help.

To everyone else, thank you for your comments and insight. I'm just trying to be a responsible builder and not just give away money to ACS if I don't have to.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
hey, sorry that came out wrong, i didnt mean it that way. wasnt directed at you...... just generalizing that if you search trying to use cheaper bearings they all end up having the same outcome...... again sorry if it came across like that.

wminear

Reaction score
No problem at all, I understand things can be misunderstood especially from the darkness of the Internet.

Latest posts