• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Ready to fly AS1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gha111

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one's for Neil. We had this discussion 3 years ago when looking at the plans while rebuilding, I thought the horizontal stab. should be set to 1/4" low. You pointed out that if the CG works out to be in the middle of the range with about half a tank of gas, then 1.5 deg should be close. Since the tail was light (24 lbs.) and the trim tab lever seemed to live mostly aft of the center mark, I thought I set it to 1 degree as a compromise. After assembly of everything after painting, I now find that I screwed up and only got .5 deg. up (don't ask why). The aircraft is 50 lbs. heavier than before (with the tail now at 35 lbs), due to welding on control stops, repairs, all new sheet metal, and finally a lot of paint that I had to redo on most pieces. The W/B shows an empty CG of 58.8, 10 gals of gas CG of 62.8 and full tank CG of 62.13. Any thoughts of what I can expect on my first run around the patch next week? Garry

Latest posts

Back