• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Reintroduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boredof172s

Reaction score
Well it's been a long time. Been lurking, but nothing more. Some may remember me from nearly two years ago. I was struggling to decide what I was going to build. I originally had settled on a Skybolt, but ended up refocusing on the Model 12. What I never discussed here was that I had changed direction again, and decided to purchase a flying Eagle. I began my Pitts and acro training and was searching for a plane. My instructor found what appeared to be a good one, and I was planning a trip to see it.

Then came February 8, 2016. After 15+ years with the same company, I lost my job. And like any good employer, they made sure to release me a year before my stock matured. Anyway, my wife and I did what we could to make the best of the situation. We chose to make one of our dreams a reality, and moved to Montana. I'll never replace what I lost, but found a great company and put the past in the past.

Fast forward to today. My two boys keep getting older, and they won't let the dream of building a plane with their dad go. And neither can I. So, I'm back to a Model 12, which is what I wanted all along. We're not in a position to purchase kits at this time, so we're going to get started with plans and a stack of wood from ACS. I've contacted Kevin, and will purchase a set of drawings as soon as they are available again. I know the odds of completing a plans built 12 are not in our favor, but so what. In the meantime, planning, shop prep, etc.

So I guess the question here is... for those with knowledge of the original design, any advice you can give? Suggested upgrades? My plan is to start with the wings. I'm thinking that's a good way to get some parts going and that's motivating. Happy to be posting on this forum again.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Latest posts

Back